Sunday, February 8, 2015

Time passes... People learn... People change

I awoke this morning different than usual. 

I stirred back and forth in my large bed, as my brain was awakening from a dream. My eyes opened, then the glare from the sun forced them back shut. I flopped my left arm onto the pillow next to me, as I stretched my body to full capacity. Realizing that the bed was larger than usual, I picked my head up noticing the pillow was empty. Confused, I looked around to see that my upstairs was vacant. I then propped myself up on my elbow and listened around... I heard giggles and squeals coming from the downstairs.

I smiled, before sauntering myself down the stairs to see my husband sitting in the middle of the floor, with both kids draped over him.

I could have stared at that image forever...

Breakfast was made and everyone was fed.

I realized it was almost 11:00 am and my husband had let me sleep, while taking care of the kids himself. That might not sound like a lot to anyone, but for me (or him), that was incredible.

My husband wasn't really the hands on dad that few fathers are. He's a hard worker that isn't afraid of hard labor -he'll work a 20 hour days if he had to. However, he wasn't the most comfortable being solely with the children.

*He's always present in their lives, just was more of the laid back father, who let me run the show.

With that, as time is passing and the children are growing, he's becoming better with the hands on process. He's falling more into a comfortable position and is enjoying the daily lifestyle of being dad.

He's taking more of an initiation, instead of letting the children come to him.

Now, when he walks through the door from work, his first thought is chasing my son and daughter down for lots of hugs and kisses.

He plays my daughter's other half to the duo, as they pretend to emulate a popular YouTube channel.

He plays a mean game of hide and seek with both children.

He isn't afraid to play beauty shop with my daughter and let her dress him up as a princess and get his hair done all pretty.

He fights his way through Gotham City while he and my son play Batman.

He cuddles on the couch with both children before bed, reading them some of their favorite stories.

I could watch these interactions all day, forever. There's a special connection between a father and his children. Much different than a mother and her children. This bond will be a special one that only he can achieve and continue to watch unfold. While I get to enjoy the benefits of the visual imagery.

Time is a crazy thing (I love that saying, because it's so true). Time passing can have a positive or negative impact on life. In my case, time passing has worked out wonderfully (in more than one occasion). I now get to sit back and indulge in the beauty of watching a blossoming relationship flourish in front of my eyes. Something that wouldn't have occurred, if time stood still. My husband's gradual transformation proves that we're always changing and developing, no matter how old you are. You're never too old to learn and gain from life's experiences. 

My husband is a wonderful man, but, we were just on different wavelengths when it came to parenting. 

Although, I realize my standards of parenting are a little different than the average, because I'm a total "hands on parent," who consumes my life with my children. Whatever they're doing, I'm always involved with. So my way of parenting is very different than what my husband was ever exposed to... 

...So, I'm glad he was up for the challenge and not only supports my type of attachment parenting and helicopter parenting, but also participates in it as well.

And that makes him an incredible father and loving husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment