Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Spring-like day at the farm


Today, my son and I basked in the unusual 60 degree weather... We found our way to our local farm after dropping my daughter off at school. The place was deserted, with only a few remaining animals outdoors. The air was fresh and breeze was warm. My mind was confused as it felt like late spring, but with not a single bud on the empty trees, it reminded me that we are only March 1st. 

We walked around the farm, hand in hand, talking about all the beauty our eyes can see. The skies above were crystal blue and the sun penetrated our pale winter skin that yearned for acceptance from vitamin D.  But, the once frozen ground, was now soppy and muddy as our shoes dug deep in the earth below. However, the no snow provided my son the opportunity to wear his new beloved R2D2 sneakers that light up with every step. 




I enjoy this simple time alone with my son. It brings me back to a time when I only had one child and my daughter and I would venture out, just the two of us. Last year, my son wasn't verbal and even by the end of the summer, his words were still hard to understand. However, this farm adventure was much different. We walked the grounds and talked about everything around us. We stopped in front of the cows and I rattled off some helpful trivia about them and the same with the sheep. He asked questions and even sung Old Mac Donald, before filling his little hands with feed for the animals. 



Our local farm also has a baby calf barn and they have a section where you can read stories to them. He was excited to see all the babies in one location. So, once we entered the small barn, my son pulled a book from their shelf, sat on the rocking chair, and pretended to read them a story.
 


One of his favorite things to do is feed the ducks. These ducks brave the winter every year and stay on the grounds because there are always people in and out who stop by to feed them. But, when we arrived, we couldn't find any of them in their normal spot. So, we explored further down to the creek and my son shrieked when he saw the 3 white ducks across the water... We ran back to get food and dropped some corn pieces next to the rocks by our feet. The ducks didn't come over, but my son said, "we'll keep the food here so they could eat it when they're hungry."




Before long, my son was getting tired and it was nearing the time to pick up my daughter. We made our way out from the water's edge, towards our car. We played, "last one there is a rotten egg" -my son loves that, probably because, I'm always the rotten egg...  Although, before our feet touched the concrete, we realized that we couldn't leave the farm without walking through our spooky forest. However, with not a single leaf on the trees or no ground brush, the spooky forest wasn't so spooky. So when I pretended there was a witch following us, my son said, "there can't be a witch because there isn't anywhere for her to hide." Just then, the wind from my sails dissipated and I agreed with him.

After crossing the bridge towards the parking lot, we stumbled upon some beautiful flowers poking out through the dried leaves... A definite sign that spring is immediately around the corner... A highly anticipated event. 



Being an outdoor family, the winter days become long and tiring. Sure, sleigh riding is fun, but the activity is limited and repetitious. We are lovers of spring days, it's the perfect combination of beautiful weather, which is not too cold and not too warm... This milder air makes way for more outdoor adventures of hiking and exploring, and also frequently farm visits.

These will be our days... Our days to be outside until the sun dips below the horizon and the night time cooler air turns warmer. Our days to eat outdoor picnic lunches and drink fresh lemonade. And our days to make even more memories to top last year. 

Welcome Spring... We've missed you!



**As always, thank you so much for stopping by and reading my stories... Please feel free to share any of these stories with your friends and you can follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook by liking The Happy Days (these options are found on my main page's right side column)... Also, you can still vote for me by clicking the Top Mommy Blogs icon in the right side column of my main page. Thank  you all for your continued support. **

No comments:

Post a Comment