Thursday, May 5, 2016

American Ninja Warrior; the 5 year old...


Three years have passed since my daughter first laid her eyes on the television show, American Ninja Warrior (ANW). This was before Kacy became a viral sensation and every girl's inspiration, and before ANW was a household name. I actually believe that was the first season that didn't have a daytime running course in what looked like, a parking lot behind some grocery store. To her, watching this show is like watching any other sport on TV. She diligently watches each contender run the course and fantasizes about one day, running beside them. Ever since that first episode, she's been consistent with saying, she wants to be an American Ninja Warrior when she's older --and a school teacher, but that's another story. 

Since then, she creates obstacle courses at every playground she attends. She pretends she's herself, then uses an announcer's voice to state what she'll be doing and gives a play by play as she glides through her designed course. On any given day, she'll tackle anything and everything climbable in her path... That part makes me cringe more times than not. 

She watches the show on her kindle and on our saved DVR. I would venture to say, it's equivalent to a football player studying game films before walking out onto the field. 

I have to say, the American Ninja Warrior community is a very humble and kind community. I've reached out over social media a few times to some of the big "stars" and they all have been gracious with communicating back. Which to my daughter, makes her vision seem more like a reality and makes her feel incredibly special too.

When I listened to her end of the year kindergarten program speech, where she said she wanted to be a school teacher and an American Ninja Warrior when she's older, I believed her. I believe that my feisty 5 year old will accomplish anything she puts her mind to. Heck, I see evidence of that daily in our lives. However, based on what I see, I'm thinking a lawyer may be a better fit for her future, rather than a teacher. 

But, I'm sure her professional career idea may change several times over, but I don't think being an ANW will. Although, it may take a back seat to different love interests throughout her teen years and typical behaviors of that age group. But, I'm patiently waiting to see if that day actually does come and if her original interest that was sparked at just 2 years old becomes reality. 

Because... How neat will that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment