Thursday, July 28, 2016

A slip and slide kind of day

Last night after my softball game, I headed to our local store to buy pool filters that were on sale. I was just there a few days earlier and they had over a dozen left, but I thought I had a back-up set in my basement, so I unfortunately decided against buying them. Which in hindsight, I didn't have an extra set. Then, when I went back to the store, they were sold out. 

Of course they were. 

Story of my life.

But, while I was there, I scanned through the summer items that were 40% on clearance. Among them were some fun pool things like dive sticks, floaty balls, noodles, arm swimmies, etc. But, sitting alone on the shelf was the dented box of a slip and slide. Dented or not, this sucker was only $6.00, and I had to have it. 

Before I went to sleep, I left the box sitting out on the kitchen counter so it would be the first thing my children saw when they woke up. Ironically, we were playing with the hose earlier that day and I was telling them stories about the fun memories I had of a slip and slide. So it was just story book that I happen to buy it that evening. 

And like clockwork, my children squealed with excitement when they saw the box sitting on the counter. My daughter was the first to figure it out and then she had to describe what it was to her brother. I heard all this, from my bedroom. 

Then, it became a game for them to eat their breakfast like they were participating in a food challenge of how much can you eat, in the shortest amount of time, so they could get outside to try out the slip and slide.

So, before the storm made it's way to our area, we set up the slip and slide in our backyard, with the gymboree parachute added onto the end, for an extra ramp. 

It took them a few tries to understand how to do it. But, with a little "push" from mama, they got it. And they had more fun with that slide than I've seen any child have with anything.

Then of course, it became a race to see who could reach the parachute the fastest. 

Oh, and of course, I had to try it too...

I must say, my daughter took a good picture... Although, I would have loved to see the picture if she hesitated a few seconds and snapped it as I went through the water... That. Would. Have. Been. Hysterical.

No comments:

Post a Comment