Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy Birthday

As I tidy up the last few pieces of birthday party materials, I’m reflecting on how great the day unfolded. We were blessed to be in the presence of love, laughter, family and friendship. Conversations ensued, jokes were told and children played. All in all, my son’s first birthday party was a success.

I was a little nervous how my 3 year old daughter was going to handle all the attention being directed at her little brother –this is the first time the birthday wasn’t about her. However, she not only was great, she enveloped herself in the day. She was the helper of taking gifts to the correct location. She talked to everyone and made them feel at home, and played with her cousins and friends. She even sang happy Birthday to her brother and shared his first cupcake, right by his side.

My son appeared to search for her, to want her by his side. While family and friends oogled at him, she was within inches to kiss him and say, “that’s my best brother.” She is a very special girl with an ability to love like no other -While my son is the same. With his chocolate filled hand, he reached out to touch his sister’s face, as if he was thanking her for being part of his day. They have a connection I will never be a part of, which is the way I want it to be. That makes me an incredibly proud parent to know that.

Gift time arrived with open arms. I sat down on the floor with my son on my lap, while my daughter was gliding back and forth with a new present every couple seconds. She opened every gift, taking the time to show her brother and describe in great detail what the present was and what it did. She neatly took apart the paper and maturely put the smaller pieces to the side, out of reach. My son played with the paper and was fascinated by it, ripping it into smaller pieces. She would then slow down and push the paper over even further. He smiled of course, yes because of all the presents, but mainly because his sister was there.


As another birthday comes to an end, I can’t believe how wonderful life is at this moment -How blissful it is to watch my son gather all the attention from loved ones and soak it in. How proud I am of my daughter for her love and devotion to her brother. I have two gracious children with boisterous personalities, and charisma to back it up. These two have my heart forever and make me smile, even though another birthday is passing, with the time clicking away. Right now, in this moment, all I can do is love and cherish today, and today was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment