Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's been one heck of a week

This past week has been a whirlwind of events -Some happy and some sad.

If my writing reads scattered, I apologize; it’s the way it sounds in my head.

Mother’s day kicked off with a welcoming start, then a day later, my husband turned 40 years old.  It was an evening spent sitting around the table, smiling and laughing with family, while he blew out the candles on his first cake.

Mid-week, I received some awful news that my 90 year old grandma had passed. That phone call was one of the most surreal conversations that I have ever encountered –not because of the passing, but because there was a lot of family tension that occurred over the past 3 years. Now after her passing, it completely separated our extended family. Things were said and done, that maybe down the road can be forgiven, but will never be forgotten.

That brings us to the end of the week. It was my 5 year wedding anniversary with my husband -11 years together. That day completely crept up on us like a cat on a mouse -Neither one of us realized the day until well after noon. But I don’t need a “special” day to celebrate my love for my husband. I love him and the life he has provided me, because of him I’m able to be home every day with my two kiddos. That is an incredible gift in itself.

The next day was my husband’s 40th birthday bash.

This decade milestone was different than his 30th. That day was spent on a warm sunny beach in South Carolina (and we were 10 years younger). This year was spent around the warmth of love and laughter, with family and friends. We were thankful for the warmth of family as it dipped down to 34 degrees that night –the patio fire pit also kept us warm. It was a nice ending to a horrible week.

But this week has single handedly taught me a lot about life…

It taught me that family isn’t necessarily blood.

It taught me that when someone passes, you’ll see the true side of people.

It taught me that true friends go days, weeks, months, or years without seeing each other and pick right back up where they left off.

It taught me who I could always count on.

And it taught me that my immediate family’s (also includes my mom, dad, and brother) bond is stronger than ever.

The main focal point of this past week has been family and friends, because without them, where would we all be? My husband’s attended friends were his wedding party. Guys he grew up with. They all had children at different times, so over the years they lost track of each other. Except the occasional function they all attend. But walking past some conversations, it sounded like they were just together yesterday. For me, I am beyond grateful that I have 4 incredibly close best friends. It’s nice to know that I have a strong support system outside of my family… But the truth is, after all these years, these girls have become family. They’re a phone call away, at any time of the day –and believe me, I have called to know.

I am incredibly lucky for my immediate family, my parents, my brother, and my in-law family. They all have been so kind and supportive. My 3 year old must have gathered something big happened, because it was the first time that I was able to converse on the phone without her asking 500 questions. She was patient, understanding, and cooperative this week –that, I am grateful for.


I am also grateful to everyone who helped make this week enjoyable and memorable -and who also helped my family through this grieving period. As life passes, you realize who will always love  and cherish you –the rest aren’t needed in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment