Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother’s Day has furtively made its way into our lives -A way to evaluate our self-worth as a parent or it’s the time of the year where we’re appreciated for our daily grind –whatever you decide.

It’s a day that is dedicated solely to the likes of mothers, and that’s a pretty neat community to be a part of.

Some people have breakfast in bed, while others get beautiful handmade items, I prefer the latter. My daughter is already up and about crafting a handmade card to accompany slippers that she wanted me to buy (I guess to go with my pajamas that are mostly donned).

I must admit, this is the first mother’s day where I finally feel like I have mothering two children under control. I don’t feel so chest high in irrationality. My vision isn’t clouded by frustration and my thoughts aren’t scattered from too many questions being asked. It feels like I’m floating through the days, rather than clinging to them.

I’m spending more days smiling and stepping back (trying to roll with the punches). I’m enjoying the uncomplicated things of mothering and letting some of the “everyday tasks” fall behind a little. With that, I’m noticing simple things that I would have missed while rushing through my day. Like, my daughter’s laughter sounds like wind chimes and my son’s giggling is contagious. That my children are only going to be 3 and 1 for a short while longer.

These days don’t seem so long anymore -the leash isn’t retracting and pulling me back.

The diminished feeling of being overwhelmed might have vacated because we’re able to spend our days outside in the sun –wagon walks, sandbox play, swinging, and imaginative exploration. Mother’s day is beautifully placed in the month where the azaleas are in full bloom, some of the daffodils are still vibrant, and the smell of spring is intoxicating. My windows are open and the smell of fresh air blows through my lace curtains.

We happen to live in an area where being outside isn’t always an option –there is a good 5 months where weather conditions are too horrid to even dare to be out. So it’s a very nice treat to wear colorful dresses and enjoy the outdoors.

This Mother’s Day will be celebrated in my home. I will be cooking homemade sauce with manicotti for my immediate family, my parents, and my brother. My home will be filled with love and laughter and that is the only way I can imagine spending this special holiday.

Mother’s Day to me is special, not only because I have two beautiful children who are the world to me, but because I have an amazing mother who I hope to emulate. My mother raised me to be strong, confident, opinionated, and self-assured. The women in my family are very strong-willed and I’m proud that I’m able to be that kind of woman. My mom was and is the rock in our family; everything would crumble if she wasn’t there to keep picking up the pieces. She is not only an incredible mother, she is an incredible woman.

For me, being a mother has been one of the most remarkable experiences in my life. Add that with being a stay-at-home-mom and you have the winning prize. I love that I’m my children’s world and their safety zone. I love the bond that has developed between us, because they’re with me all the time. I'm the person who they run to when something's wrong and in return, mommy is able to make everything perfect. 

So this Mother’s Day, I’m taking the time to reflect how far I have come with parenting. Knowing I will never be flawless every day, but as long as I put love first, then anything is possible.

I look forward to celebrating many more Mother’s Day with all my family gathered around a table, sharing stories and making memories to last forever.



Happy Mother’s Day to all you mommies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment