Sunday, September 21, 2014

Because who she is, is an extraordinary 4 year old.

As I was able to steal a moment away and snuggle on the couch for a short, few minutes, I realized the sickness has finally made its way to me. Over the course of an hour, my health depleted and the feeling of a truck running me over sank in. But with the sounds of Penn State football piercing through the background and the kids zooming around on their big wheels, I knew those few minutes of comfort were fleeting.

Those minutes were interrupted by my son wandering around the house saying, "mommy!" on repeat. I held my eyes tightly closed, while the breeze from the crisp fall air was blowing on my legs, I was in my happy place. My husband, who was sitting about 3 feet away on the couch across from me, ignored our son and let him continue on his journey of finding mommy. Apparently, no one would ever suspect me to be in one spot for very long, let alone, laying down.

I could hear my son as he went back into the playroom to my daughter, where he mumbled a few babbled words, but somehow, my daughter understood what he was doing and joined him on the quest.

Within seconds, I felt my daughter standing over me. I squinted at her as she says, "I found mommy!" at the highest voice level known to man kind. My husband then found it appropriate to say, "leave mommy rest for a bit, she doesn't feel well." I laughed at the irony of his late status update, while my son and daughter pounced on me, bombarding me with hugs and kisses. I ended with, "thanks" to my husband.

My daughter is amazing because normally she is the loudest, most talkative child that I currently know, however, she took control and hushed her little brother, while sitting next to me and stroked my hair -occasionally giving me a kiss on my forehead.

She relayed the message to her brother that mommy doesn't feel well and we should be quiet. My son was ok with that and went back to play trains in the playroom. 

Then out of nowhere, my daughter stood up and said, "mommy! I know what will make you feel better." I didn't have a chance to respond before she ran out of the living room, then back in with a handful of books. 

"I'm going to read you every one of these stories until you feel better." I responded with, "sleep would make me feel the best." "No it won't, you silly, books are the greatest." She ended with.

Well kiddo, I can't argue with you on that.

Obviously, I never slept... My husband's football game was much too important and my kiddos were too darn cute. I pulled myself off the couch and lied on the floor of their playroom, while they played by themselves all around me. My son's bubbly, free spirit personality led him to just wander around and occasionally jump on me for hugs, a giggle, then dive off onto the floor. At one point, my daughter even took out her doctor kit in attempt to diagnose me. Plus, she gave me every helpful tip on how to get better...

Homemade chicken noodle soup.
Orange juice.
Kiwi fruits. 
Pineapple juice.
And cucumbers for hydration...

...I found it funny that sleep wasn't on the list. But nevertheless, these are some of the items that are stated to her when she doesn't feel well.

I rarely get sick. In fact, when bedtime arrived, I already felt better. I guess sometimes, even moms need a time out throughout the day and their bodies tell them when enough is enough. I however, just found it beautiful how thoughtful and helpful my daughter was today -at only 4 years old. I swear if she was old enough to cook, I would have had chicken noodle soup in front of me at some point. 

It's days like these that make me stop and realize how lucky I am to have such wonderful children -and it couldn't have come at a better time, because my daughter has been sleeping poorly over the past few weeks and very clingy during the day. I have been feeling very overwhelmed, however, today was a great day to reset my brain and be grateful for her, as she is...

...Because who she is, is an extraordinary 4 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment