Sunday, September 14, 2014

Changes... Preschool Edition

This week, was a week of firsts for me. I dealt with a vast array of emotions and mental anguish. I cried, was frantically biting my nails, and was nauseous for 2 days straight.

I paced in circles around the parking lot, my feet thumbing to the beat of my heart, which was feeling pretty heavy. I couldn’t take the unknown –Was she ok? Was she looking for me? Was she as sad as I was?

In case you were wondering… My 4 year old started her first day of preschool… I’m not exactly sure who was more nervous, but either way, it was a close tie.

We have talked about it for months. She would beg to go and I would change the subject. I wasn’t ready for her to leave the nest. I wasn’t ready for the silence of her absence. It’s hard for me to imagine my day with only one child in my house, especially without the one who was with me every step of my life for 4 years.

I feel they get too many years of education anyways and I wanted to savior the final year that she was only mine, not part of the school system. But, after talking with friends, and one who had a bad experience with a local preschool -realizing that preschools were having too many expectations at too young of an age. I decided, she should be granted the opportunity to be up to par with all the other incoming kindergarteners next year. I already know intellectually she would be fine because I spend so much time teaching her at home. But I can’t be positive she would understand the concept of standing in a line, or to raise her hand to speak. 

These apparently are expected when approaching kindergarten –I remember nap being the biggest task when I went to kindergarten, oh how times have changed. So nevertheless, she was enrolled and started her three-day-a-week excursion away from mommy.

The first day was the hardest. I walked up to the doorway, clenching tightly onto her little hand as we crossed the threshold. I had so many thoughts and feelings whirling around my head, I couldn’t think clearly.

My biggest concern was, would she become upset for some reason and search for me for comfort? –as she always has.

That thought broke my heart, realizing that walking through that entrance, I was walking towards her future -One that doesn’t require mommy to make everything better. Mommy is no longer able to intervene when things get tough, she’ll now have to learn how to handle uncomfortable situations…

I’m still not ready to release her into that world… She’s still a baby to me.

However, she ran into the classroom after giving me, her nana, and poppy (who were there for support) a big kiss and hug. I hesitated in the doorway, my knees shaky, as I watched her age in front of my eyes. The teacher was unbelievably helpful, so sweet and kind, as she put me in a classroom right next door to listen and wait to see how she reacts.

She did completely fine.

After 35 minutes of not even a hiccup. I decided I could leave school grounds. I tip toed by the open doorway, peeking in, to see her diligently working on an assignment.

In that moment I realized, it was over. She did it, and she was content.

At pick up time, I of course was there 15 minutes early, she dashed out of the classroom, with an ear to ear smile, and into my arms stating, “it was such a great day.” I happily responded with, “I’m so proud of you” as I pulled her in tighter.

I believe on my end, this school year will be a very long experience. However, I also feel she is quite happy attending. Her smile when preschool is discussed is the only thing that is making me hold it together. I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to coming back home after dropping her off and spending 2.5 hours alone with only my son, but preschool is only the beginning to this attachment separation.

Sooner or later, this day would have to come… And I would have to release her.

But thankfully, I get to start with baby steps.

Thankfully, this is not only helping her transition, it’s helping me too.

I will always “baby” my children as long as I can, because that’s just my personality. I will always run to their aid, defend them, and cuddle them when they need me –even when they’re 30 years old. I never want them to question if it’s ok to talk to me or discuss something with me. I want them to be so secure that they always know I will be there to catch them if they fall…

I will never be a sink or swim parent… I will swim alongside them as long as they want me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment