Sunday, November 9, 2014

An act of love

Everyone in the household has been sick, there never seems to be enough time in the day, and my exhaustion has been on overdrive. My daughter and son have been getting on each other's nerves, while I have been playing mediator and referee.

The background noise was filled with whining and arguing.

Children yelling, "MOM!" one too many times. 

My son attempted to play with his sister, only to be dismissed with a, "get out of my room." 

My daughter attempted to play with her brother, only to be dismissed with a grunt, a point towards the doorway, and a, "mommy!"

Neither could do anything right...

Right before my head was about to explode from this week, something miraculous happened...

...A ceasefire.
...A bond.

I heard quiet much too long as I was making dinner. Once the sound registered, I put down the potato I was peeling. I walked in and out of the usual rooms, only to find my son and daughter snuggled on her bed, under the covers. I stepped back, behind the door, watching with one eye from around the frame. My daughter had one arm outstretched around my son, the other hand was holding a book she was reading. He had his doggy and blanket brushing against his face, as his forehead was pressed tightly into her arm...

A moment of love.
A moment of devotion.
An act of kindness.
Their time.
Her generosity.
His trust.

So, time pass, bring your worst. It's moments like these that carry me and give me strength to sail through the chaos. With fists clenched, I will happily drive through the storm, knowing the sunshine is on the other end. 

Days will be hard and families will fight, but the bond of love cannot be broken. It is that bond that holds us together.

We'll walk through the storm together.

No comments:

Post a Comment