Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The story behind the vintage sun catchers


The snow less winter has sprouted life once again. As I look out my kitchen window, I see our barron winter grass is now blanketed with thick white snow. Outside, the snowflakes are falling at a rapid speed and our unbearable below zero temperatures have soared to above freezing. I stand in my warm kitchen, with a family-made soup simmering on the stove and the sounds of my children playing in the background. My home is temporarily still and quiet, like the world outside. 

My birthday came and went, leaving with it, these beautiful vintage sun catchers that were a gift from my children. These lay rested against the cold glass, reflecting a colorful hue from the little light that penetrates through the gray skies. Even on the coldest snowy days, these lovely intricate glass pieces brighten and warm my kitchen with all the love that came from choosing them. 

I could imagine how vibrant these sun catchers once were when they were newly hand painted. They must have rested against the drafty glass of a house in the similar era of my 1930's home. I could imagine a mother standing alone in her kitchen, baking bread for the week or pie for today's dinner. And also hearing her children off playing in another room in the home -Mimicking the very sequential steps that I am. These very sun catchers would have brought the same colorful hue to her winter days, as they do to mine. 

The lovely fact about all elements vintage is the intertwined connection we all feel. Every item holds a story and once you partake on the journey, you have the ability to add another piece to the history. I'm not sure what the first story was, I'd like to think they held as much joy for the original owners, as they do for me. But, I know what my story will be, and hopefully one day, my children will have these sun catchers hung in their home and continue their story for their children...

No comments:

Post a Comment