Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's a Cinderella birthday party

My daughter and I stood in front of our glass slider, watching the rain beat down on the numerous folding tables that were positioned in a royal display. The skies were dark as night and the seats of the chairs were puddled with water.

We sighed.

As I scrambled to display the last Cinderella detail, sweat beading on my skin from the excess humidity, I let out a deep huff of relief -Everything was finally in order.

My daughter's 4th birthday party  had to be executed inside due to ill-weather. But, that didn't stop this momma from transforming the house bright and colorful with an array of pinks and baby blues to match Cinderella -complete with a round table for a royal tea party. 

My daughter awoke much too early for my liking. I had a hard time prying open my one eye to see her jumping above me yelling the words, "I can't believe this day is finally here, I've been waiting so long for this!" In my head, I'm thinking, you're only 4, it hasn't been that long and please let me sleep until the clock reads a more functional time. But of course in reality, I smiled, pulled her in for a big hug and said "I know you have and you have been such a great girl this year." 

When she calmed down (to the best of her ability) I handed her the last gift from my husband and I. It was her very own Cinderella costume dress, to go with her Cinderella themed birthday party later that day.

The guests filed into our cozy home, handing her a gift, one at a time and wishing her a happy birthday. She was blessed with presents ranging from crafts to princess dresses.

However, the biggest surprise was about to happen. My husband grabbed the video camera and I took control of the snap shot camera, as we waited on the back stoop (there was a small break in the rain that allowed us to stand in the cool, breezy outside). Family's held their excited children close as everyone was waiting in anticipation.

Then it happened...

Cinderella, herself, walked up my driveway...

My daughter glowed and beamed from ear to ear -you would have thought it was Christmas morning with the amount of yells and shrieks she belted out. She didn't allow Cinderella to walk fully to the door before she jumped into her arms.

Cinderella brought a special necklace, her choker, to give my daughter, then ever so gently, placed it around her neck.

Completing her perfect Cinderella look.

My daughter repeatedly exclaimed, "thank you! thank you!" Without knowing what else to say. She looked in shocked, complete disbelief, that Cinderella was standing right in front of her.

Once she composed herself, my daughter led Cinderella to her bedroom, where we had a tea party table set up (that my daughter decorated herself). Cinderella decided to read a book to all the kids, allowing my daughter to sit on her lap the entire time. I have yet to see her sit that still for an entire book reading. After the book was read, she signed the inside front cover -with love, from Cinderella.

The party continued as normal parties do, with the exception of Cinderella being part of it. Happy Birthday was sung, cake was eaten around the royal table (while discussing Cinderella's adventures), face painting occurred, and a pinata was broken. 

My daughter's 4th birthday was a big hit.

She hugged Cinderella goodbye, with hesitation, as she didn't want her to leave. She wished her well and thanked her a million times for coming to her birthday party.

A memory was created and will forever be cherished.

Before my daughter's eyes closed for the night, she said whispered, "it was the best birthday party" she has ever had. Her painted face was still vibrant and her smile was just as fresh, as she fell asleep.

When the house was quiet, after all the remainder party garbage was cleaned up, I sat and flicked through pictures of the day. Already knowing, we are incredibly lucky to have such great family and friends who always attend my children's functions. They are always there to embark on new milestones and provide my children with beautiful things. But I must say, I'm VERY grateful I have such great friends on top of family. I had a vision of somehow getting Cinderella to my house (after researching companies who do princess parties and finding out that they didn't have sites near my hometown) and one of my best friends made it a reality. She went out of her way to help us and in turn, made one incredibly happy 4 year old.

Not only is my daughter lucky to have such amazing people in her life, but I'm also lucky that my close friends are always involved with my children as well. Our children will all grow up not only as friends, but as if they were cousins. It's nice to know you could always count on someone outside of family, being there to support you at all costs... That in turn, makes them family too.  

And my family is lucky to have all of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment