Sunday, December 22, 2013

Home for the holidays

It’s that time of the year. Snow has blanketed the ground reflecting the bright stars above. Homes are warmed with heat and love. Traditions are being played out day after day. Many houses are covered with beautiful lights –inside and out. Christmas music is softly playing in the background and the smell of cookies drift through the air. Everyone is either home or trying to get home for the holidays. But it’s basically the time of year where my daughter doesn’t stop talking about Santa’s arrival, not even pausing to eat. Her drawings are of Santa and his reindeer and there is Christmas tree cut-outs covered with glittered that are scattered throughout. I hear her sing Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer, Jingle Bells, and Dashing through the snow over a dozen times a day. And she continues to play Santa’s coming to town with her Dora the Explorer figures and the village under the tree. She would also wear her Christmas jammies every single day if I’d allow it. But I must say, it’s also my favorite time of the year.

I once thought being a child at Christmas was the greatest thing, now having children, I realized that watching them experience Santa is one of the greatest gifts a parent can receive. I am probably more excited than she is –well, maybe close. I have everything wrapped, organized, and stacked neatly in my closet. I have my kids presents differentiated by wrapping paper –Penguins for my daughter (she’s obsessed with them thanks to Peso from Octonauts) and snowmen for my son.

Our holiday tradition begins on Christmas Eve (this was the same tradition as when my brother and I were younger), Santa (my brother) arrives at our house mid-afternoon/evening to talk to my daughter and son. He makes an exception to stop during his busy travels, and my daughter couldn’t be happier. He brings them a couple toys, reads books, then talks about the things they want the next morning. Last year, I couldn’t contain my emotions (partly because I was 9 months pregnant) when I saw how ecstatic she was when Santa walked through her door. After he leaves, we set out milk and cookies, read more Christmas stories, then watch the Santa tracker on the computer before drifting off to sleep.

Christmas morning is a rush down the stairs -squeals, yelling, or any other kind of sound you could think of. She pauses for a moment and breathes in the excitement, realizing her anticipation has finally arrived. Then dives in, thanking Santa every step of the way. I’m also waiting in anticipation to see my son’s reaction to Santa and then all the presents –he’ll probably look at his big sister for reassurance then follow her reaction. But, there was one year where my daughter screamed bloody murder when she laid eyes on Santa –as quickly he walked through the front door, is as quickly he walked out the back.


I am so grateful for my beautiful family -To carry on traditions with them and enjoy the holidays with my extended-family and in-laws. So this Christmas, let us be thankful for these traditions and the people who help fulfill them every year -family, friends, and loved ones –and the ones that are not with us this year, let us set an extra plate for them to reassure ourselves that they will also be home for the holidays –as we all are. Because being home is more of a state of mind, rather than an actual place. And EVERYONE deserves to be “home for the holidays.”

No comments:

Post a Comment