Sunday, December 15, 2013

Santa's coming with a sack FULL of toys

To date, Christmas is my favorite time of the year. There's something about a tree filled with ornaments that glistens at night, with colored lights intertwined in garland that encapsulates the doorways, and the snow that usually falls on the ground. But I would say the best part is family –Everyone gathered around the Christmas tree, singing, laughing, and telling stories of the past. Big dinners with family and friends and desserts scattered around the table as far as the eyes could see. With family, brings children, and let’s face it, children are the ones who bring Christmas to life. For a single second, I would love to have the happiness they experience on Christmas morning -To feel that kind of pure excitement.

With the holiday season fast approaching, I've been reading a lot about this new movement of parent’s not wanting to provide their kids with lots of toys for Christmas (or limiting to a handful) –Now of course, I’m not talking about the people who can’t afford presents and they get what they financially can. I’m talking about people with the ability to buy more, but choose not because they say their kids have too much. They would rather have friends and families spend "quality time" with their child(ren) or put money towards future advancement, etc. I may be old fashioned, but this is definitely falling into the category of making kids mature faster than they should. Children are only babies/kids for a short time. This is a time of bliss, no responsibilities, and no worries. This is an exciting time, a time where they wake up to find lots of toys under the tree. I know people say, they should understand the "true meaning of Christmas"... why? They're kids. They have the rest of their lives to understand the true meaning of Christmas, but only a small window where they could just enjoy the complete ignorance of how toys appear under a tree.

To me the logic of my kids having too much just doesn’t hold. I know plenty of adults who have 20 + pairs of shoes, a closet full of handbags, too many clothes to count –but yet, continue to add to their collection. Isn’t that the same thing? What if someone said there was a limit on what you could own?

I’m part of that mindset where I have bought only a handful of items for myself in 3 years. My house is filled with kid’s toys and kid’s items. But, I do not buy toys throughout the year –I will buy an occasional book for my daughter. But I buy one big gift for birthdays, fill Easter baskets with homemade chocolate and one present, and then Santa is the one who brings lots toys for my kids, not me. So at Christmas time, he brings as much toys as I can financially afford. That works in two ways, one being my daughter never asks for anything when we’re in a store because in her mind, Santa brings them. And two, she has such an over amount of excitement for Christmas because she is getting lots of toys. The build-up is incredible for any parent to see.

My childhood memories of Christmas are what drive me in making it wonderful for my children. When I was younger and still believed, Christmas was a huge event. Family and friends would stop by continuously the week or two before –eating food, drinking coffee, and staying late into the evening. Santa would even stop by on Christmas Eve to talk to us. Then when we awoke the next morning (usually as the sun was rising), my brother and I couldn’t contain our excitement as we shrieked when opening up our presents. Indirectly, we were learning the true meaning of Christmas, but we didn’t realize it –it wasn’t forced down our throats. Because when I look back, what I remember most is that the house was filled with family, friends, and love.

This is my daughter’s fourth Christmas and each year the anticipation increases. We have the inside and outside of the house completely decorated before Thanksgiving and the tree up on black Friday –she is already beyond excited for Santa to come. All of our story times shifted to Christmas books and she’s constantly playing Santa’s coming to town with my village under the tree. She writes letters to Santa asking him for certain toys, but then adds, “if you can’t, then that’s ok Santa.” She sits down and tries to explain to her brother how marvelous Christmas will be. And that isn’t something I’m willing to take away by giving her two or three presents because I’m teaching her gifts aren’t everything (but on a side note, isn’t our society completely based on the amount of “stuff” we all have?). If I’m able to provide her with a Christmas full of toys and quality family time, then that is something I will continue to do. Because in just a few short years, Santa will be a distant memory as she becomes mature and “too cool” to believe in him anymore and the idea of waking up to a room full of toys under a tree won’t even be a concern anymore. She’ll probably just want a laptop, unwrapped for convenience, as she’s begging to leave the family dinner early to go spend time with her friends.


I’m a firm believer in modeling behaviors –if you’re a good person and understand the value in things, then your children will follow suite. I think we place too much concern on the way our children behave with constant discipline and maintenance, instead of just letting them learn through existing in the world. I will always buy as much as I can for my kids as adults will continue to buy for themselves. I believe my children will learn and are learning the value of things the other 364 days a year –I believe that, because I can already see it in my 3 year old daughter and the crazy amount of toys she gets or already has isn’t stopping her appreciation for things (I had a friend send her a sheet of stickers in the mail for her third birthday this year and you would have thought there was a million dollars in that envelope with the way she reacted to them). Christmas only comes once a year, it should be a time where the house is filled with lights, family and friends, cookies baking in the oven, Christmas music continuously on in the background, and the magical anticipation of Santa arriving with his sack FULL of toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment