Sunday, October 11, 2015

Fall-Tastic Day

The smell of popcorn filled the air as we stepped out of our car, crunching the dried leaves beneath our feet. Apple cider was stacked in unison in tall glass bottles, eagerly waiting to be purchased. Mounds of hay was tied neatly together in the distance and corn fields sprawled throughout the acres. While the cool crisp air blew through the vibrant colored trees, knocking several leaves off as they swayed back and forth.



My children quickly exited the car, as they were very excited to spend the day at the pumpkin patch (cue the Charlie Brown music). Walking in a single file through the grass parking lot, we made our way towards the cash register where we purchased our necessities to enjoy the most out of our day. 





Our first stop was the corn maze, where we twisted and turned around every corner trying to find our way out. My daughter tried her hardest to use her "leader" skills and guide us through the pathways, as she pretended to pull out a map to show us the correct way. But my son, who wasn't taking the leading seriously, was cutting through the corn stalks and making his own paths. Which would cause the response of, "mom! he isn't following my path" from my daughter. Then I explained, everyone is entitled to find their own way. After many wrong turns and over an hour on all three corn mazes, we finally made our way out -well, the last and hardest maze resulted in my husband bailing out through the corn stalk wall earlier than us. We eventually followed his lead about 5 minutes later, after we took more wrong turns than correct ones and my son and daughter thought playing among the stalks was more fun than walking around them.

We walked back down the dirt pathway to the child's area to allow them to play in the shade and for a break in between the day. They had many activities for them to utilize, which were all fall season friendly. Both of my children climbed to the top of the hand built wooden tower, then jumped off into a pile of fluffy hay and played in bailed hay mazes. The first jump off the ledge resulted in my son holding tightly onto my daughter's hand and asking for her to not let go, as they plunged into a comfy landing place. There were also tables filled with corn and sand that had many toy construction vehicles resting on the top. Of course, prying my son away from the toy vehicles was the hardest part, as the tractor pulled up beside the table, waiting for people to file into the hay ride.



We sat in the front corner of the flat bed, waiting for the ride to begin. We took our family photos and chatted about how much fun the day has been and what kind of pumpkin both of my children would pick. My daughter and son both kneeled on the edge of the bailed hay seats resting their chins on the wood rails, as they watched the beautiful scenes around them.



The hay ride dropped us off into a pumpkin patch with many large and small pumpkins still attached to their vines. Both my children thanked the lady who drove the tractor as they squealed their way off the flat bed. My husband took my son in one direction, as I followed my daughter into another. While walking around, they had to find the perfect one, which resulted in many, "hmm, I can't decide which one is more perfect than the other" speeches. My son was able to pick out the pumpkin he liked the best within a few steps into patch, then pleaded with his daddy to take him back over to the toy construction vehicles, which of course daddy did. I was left to follow my daughter around for at least 15 minutes or so, before she found THE perfect one. 


And I think they were the two most perfect pumpkins I have ever seen (My son's on the left, with my daughter's on the right).

Today was another one of those beautiful family filled days, which I adore so very much. Those perfect days that will remain within my brain for many, many years. The days that keep me sane during those not so good days. The ones where I could close my eyes and see my children's gorgeous smiles as the bright sun rays glistened off their faces, leaving me with a heartwarming yearn for today. The memories that are forever etched in time. Their giggles and laughter echoing in the background as we couldn't find our way out of the mazes, my daughter singing her favorite songs while riding on the tractor, and my son working up enough courage to jump off the ledge into the hay, all by himself. As a mother, I live for these moments, these days. The days where I'm able to snuggle up with my children and explore new and exciting moments together. 

I know I said this past summer was the greatest memory thus far, but I think today is a great start to a whole new season and I cannot wait for our next outing.


**Don't forget, if you enjoyed this post or any of my other ones, please go to my main page (www.jackyhappydays.blogspot.com) and click the Top Mommy Blogs Approved icon in my right hand column. Once clicked, it will redirect you to their main page, that is all you need to do -the vote will be registered. With the more votes I get, my blog will raise in rankings, which will result in more traffic to my site. Thank you all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment