Sunday, November 22, 2015

A mommy and her daughter


I sat with my back firmly against the bench, as I placed my feet into my skates. My daughter danced like a ballerina in front of me, as she twirled on her skates, eagerly waiting for me to snap my last strap. I stood a little uneasy for my first time in years. I looked more like a baby calf standing for the first time. The smell of stagnant air and feet lingered in my nose and the decor was still set in the late 1970s. My daughter reached for my hand and helped me to my feet. Then assisted me to the rink. It only took a few laps to get my sea legs back, but when I did, I was able to keep up with my little derby girl. We lapped the concession stand too many times to count. We sang and laughed, and even danced a little. We also did our best doing the hokey pokey and we stayed on our feet the entire time. At least at this age, nothing I do is embarrassing, even when I tried skating on one leg, while doing a silly dance... At first, I thought I'd regret pulling out my old roller blades from the early 1990s, but, after an afternoon with my little girl, I'm so grateful to have found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment