Sunday, November 1, 2015

An impromptu weekend away

My Thursday evening was a typical scenario. I made dinner, we ate, then I was rushing around trying to clean, bathe the children, then get them ready for bed (it's amazing how sometimes the day could move so slowly, then all of the sudden, it becomes a race against the clock for bedtime). My phone rang, which sparked my son to seek me out and say, "mommy! The phone is ringing... It's ringing... Can you hear it mommy?" As if he was the only one granted with this ability. I raced to the phone with my hands full of crayons and markers and I eventually answered it on the last ring (I currently live in the 80s where I have a wall landline because my son wanted to test the waterproof system of our portable phone - he learned, they're not waterproof).

My parent's had called to ask us to join them on an impromptu family weekend away at a cabin, in a family-owned amusement park.

We quickly obliged.

Obviously, bedtime was one of the hardest accomplished goals that had been achieved in a long time. My daughter felt like a rebel as she was missing her first school day and my son was beyond eager to ride his favorite, beloved pedal cars.

Morning came quicker than I expected. We had our packed bags, our weekend essentials, and my two bouncing around children ready and waiting at the door. My parent's car pulling into the driveway sparked the same reaction that Santa did last year, when he walked through our door. 

The drive wasn't long, as we eagerly planned out our park adventures. Each child shouting what they wanted to ride first and what they couldn't wait to do. We never rented a cabin in the park before, so we weren't even quite sure what to expect. We do know however, that we're outdoorsy people and a cabin in the woods for the weekend was something we all were very excited for. 

Finding the registration building was simple, however, finding our cabin was like finding a needle in a haystack. There were cabins and tents and motor homes galore. Their Halloween festivities attracts a lot of visitors to the park yearly, we just weren't prepared for how many. After several wrong turns, and an incident of attempting to unlock a cabin that wasn't ours, we finally found our cabin.



What a lovely cabin it was...

My children ran freely through the grass, explored new areas, and pretended with their toys, as my parents, my husband, and I unloaded our belongings. They claimed their beds, climbed up and down the ladders to the two bunk beds and were completely fascinated by all the small, cubby areas, this cabin offered. There was even a little loft that was nestled high above the tallest bunk. We all quickly realized, this weekend was going to be magical.

Our day time hours were spent at our cabin, exploring the grounds, building fires, and making friends with nearby campers. We conversed around our table while eating lunch and told stories about past memories. We laughed around the picnic table and climbed on rocks. We even took an early walk into the unopened park, where we explored, pretended, and imagined around the motionless rides. We saw the spooky Halloween decorations and said hello to the random workers. My children felt like they owned the place, as we were the only non employees there. We took advantage of every available free moment. Our evenings were at the park, riding rides until we were sick and eating typical park food. My children couldn't get enough, and truth is, I think we all were the same.

The warm sunny days were quickly replaced with cool, crisp, evening fall temperatures. Everyone was bundled up tight with hats and gloves and thankfully, we were able to ride everything at least once. Some rides we even rode 6-7 times. Two rides in particular that were the focal point for my daughter and her poppy were the scrambler and the adult himalaya. We made our money with those two rides and I don't think I have ever seen my daughter as happy as she was upon exited those two rides. The rest of us sat on nearby benches as we watched my daughter and her poppy fly around the ride, singing, laughing, and squealing with immense joy. Even if those were the only two rides my daughter rode the whole day, as long as it was with her poppy, she would have been completely content. 

My son also rode more rides than ever before. My daughter graduated from riding the kiddie rides to riding the adult ones, but will entertain her brother by joining him on the smaller ones. Once on the rides, she lifted her arms up in the air and shrieked as she approached every turn, trying to add more excitement. But, when my son attempted to do the same, then would quickly drop his hands to hold on. My daughter eventually saw him doing that, then lifted his arms high in the air and held tightly onto him, so he could be fearless and go hands free around the turns, just like his sister.

He was proud.

After the third day, we were adventured out, having done above and beyond what we set out to do. We had more enjoyment from those few days than ever before at that park. The first evening walk back to the campground ended with my husband carrying my sleeping daughter and myself carrying my sleeping son. The second night, both children were still very much awake, but requiring nana and poppy's hands to be intertwined in theirs. 

On both nights, while both kids softly snored away in their bunks, the adults sat around our very small table, in our very small cabin, and drank tea and indulged in cupcakes. Even with the smallest of conversations, the time spent together was irreplaceable. 

Today, we eagerly wait until we can book an entire full week during the summer to enjoy another family trip, but until then, I have the wonderful memories that were created from a simple, impromptu long weekend. The beautiful colors of the rides against the fall scenery, the smell of funnel cakes and hot apple cider, and sight of ear to ear smiles on both of my children's faces the entire weekend. The moments they spent on the rides with us, clinging so tightly when they were scared of a sharp turn, and even the occasional meltdowns they had. Seeing the immense joy my daughter experienced the first time she rode a new ride and my son's joy getting to ride his favorite cars, trucks, and planes.

Trips with children can be exhausting, but seeing all the wondrous magic a single weekend away with family creates is worth its weight in gold. I'll take the sporadic meltdowns, the out of nowhere naps, and the constant "go" just to have the opportunity to experience everything with them. I adore every second my children want me to ride the rides with them and have me sit in the exact seat as them, with my arm outstretched around their little bodies. These are the moments that don't need clarity. These are the moments where I feel completely at home. I feel perfect in my skin. The moments where my family is all together and enjoying life, as simple as it is.   








***Remember, if you enjoy reading my stories, please vote for my blog! To do so, go to my blog's main page (www.jackyhappydays.blogspot.com) and click the Top Mommy Blog icon in the right side column. Once clicked, it will redirect you to their main page, that is all you need to do. Each vote raises my ranks and helps promote The Happy Days -Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment