Friday, January 6, 2017

Reconnecting with the past...

Our holiday season also had a lot to celebrate outside of our little family unit... Over the past few years, there has been some extended family situations that arose, causing a split among cousins/aunts/etc. But outside of my parents, I've been mending fences, trying to re-establish an extended family unit.

Currently, we only have a solid relationship with my husband's side of the family and my parents. Both his mom and dad and their spouses are a huge part of our lives and we're grateful for them in so many ways. But, I want more for my children. I want them also around the individuals who had influence on my life when I was growing up and were always a constant. 

I want them to be around the ones who celebrated my graduations, birthdays, wedding, and baby shower.

Also, the women in my family all have a consistent personality and myself and my second cousin are so much alike, it's scary. We're all loud, talkative, and hyper. However, my husband's family is not like this, at all. They are more reserved and expect quiet at the table and children are to be seen, but not heard. Sadly, my daughter is a mini me and fits the stereotypical mold of the females on my side. Whereas, my son is more of a quiet natured boy. 

This factor was a leading role on why I wanted to create a stronger, extended family. Mainly because, I don't won't my daughter growing up and only seeing people who are very different than her and make her doubt herself. Because, if I didn't have my family as a child, I would have definitely missed out with learning a lot about myself as an individual. 

And plus, it's always great to know where you came from...

So this New Years Day, we were around my dining room table with my side of the family, who hold so many of my past memories.

And, it's was just how I remembered it...

We talked of old stories, about past family members, and future endeavors. My daughter stayed at the table and no amount of questions or conversation was too much for them. And she loved every minute of sitting there, chatting with the adults, just like I did at her very age.

And when she grew stagnant, she donned her infamous roller skates and circled the table a few dozen times...

She was loud... But not once did they ask her to stop or huff at her actions. They laughed and commented on how well she skated and how much she reminded them of myself at her age, and we just continued along with our conversations.

With reconnecting to my side, she's learning to appreciate her talkative nature, instead of always hearing that she "talks too much." With my family, you have to talk quick and loud and sometimes interrupt, in order to get a word in... And my daughter quickly fit in. Also, she's learning that what she says is important too and that other adults, outside of mama and daddy, are interested in what she has to say, instead of being talked around like she's invisible.

In my almost 35 years on this planet, I've learned that you can never have too many family members. And the older generations are such a blessing, because, they are the ones who still hold onto past traditions and have the best stories to share. And finally, a holiday dinner (or any day) should be full of people, noises, loud conversations from all ages, and love... Always, lots of love.

And we're incredibly lucky to have that much love, back in our lives... And we're excited for what the future holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment