Monday, January 23, 2017

A new change...

For the past year or so, my daughter has asked to cut her Rapunzel-like long hair. It seems more children in her age group have shoulder length hair or above shoulder length styles. And like all children, she wants to emulate her peers.

Over the months, I've trimmed a few inches here an there. While trying to convince her that her long hair is beautiful and she should stand against the norm. But in reality, I wanted it long for me... 

It's like her hair represented her childhood to me. Those brittle ends are still the same strands that hung on, throughout all these years. And in my mind, I'm able to hold onto her baby years, just a little bit longer because, those pieces are still intact.

But after Thursday night and watching her so disheveled and not knowing what the outcome was going to be, I've learned that she's always going to be my little girl -No matter what style hair she has on her head. The same little girl who will always need her mama, no matter how old she gets. And as the years pass, her needs will change too, just like her. 

And that's ok too...
Because, change means you're moving forward... 
And everyone should be moving forward...

So after her bath last night, while I was combing through her tangled, knotted hair, she asked me once more about cutting her hair. But this time, instead of trying to convince her otherwise, I pulled out the scissors and stood behind her, as I chopped chunks off...

I felt my heart skip a few beats, as I watched the stands fall to the floor. But the more I cut, the happier she became. She was so excited, that she had trouble sitting still, which resulted in me cutting her hair multiple times, in order for it to look even... 

But nonetheless, it was chopped... 
About 10+ inches...

And afterwards, she twirled around for her brother and father, and was so proud of her new "do." 

And I finally realized, that it's only hair. And, hair always grows back. And, her hair is not the gateway to her past and will not keep her forever young. Growth is always happening and change will always occur. But this kind of happiness, shouldn't have been missed, because I was holding onto an imaginary piece of reality...

And as long as she is healthy and happy, short or long hair, she'll always be my most favorite girl in the whole world...

And I will keep her snuggled close to me, for as long as she'll allow... 

And after that, maybe I'll get a cat...

No comments:

Post a Comment