Monday, January 2, 2017

Our New Years... The simple life...

When my husband and I celebrated New Years Eve before children, we were usually somewhere warm and partying like rock stars. We dabbled in areas like, Key West, Vegas, Orlando, South Beach, and Fort Lauderdale. We were dressed to the nines and enveloped in crowds, club lights, and dancing. Then, taxi cabbed it back to the hotel after 2:00 am.

There's was always something magical and high society about New Years Eve. It's the time when you get a do over and, everyone gets a second chance. 

And at midnight, you prepare your resolutions for the new year.

But since having children, all that seems so long ago. I am at a point in my life where I feel so content where everything is. And, I don't make resolutions because, I don't want anything to change... Well, maybe lose a few pounds, but for god sakes, I don't need a resolution for that, I just need to put down the baked goods...

I look back over my recent New Years Eves. Most were spent putting children to sleep early, doing feedings, and rocking a colicky baby around my house while I desperately tried to stay awake until midnight. I sometimes sat on the rocking chair in the nursery feeding my baby, listening to the countdown from the living room TV, while my then sleep hating toddler ran outside the door.

But each year, became a little more exciting than the last...

And this year, was the most different yet. My children are now older, aware, and little people. They were so eager to start the countdown and be part of this exciting holiday. After dinner, we played board games, hide and go seek, they ran through the house banging pots and pans like a parade, and they practiced their countdown -on the highest volume.

They were ready...

Except around 11:15 p.m, after they ate donuts to help give them a sugar rush, but their eyes still were heavy. My husband pulled out the video camera to do a mock countdown, they did, but immediately retreated back under the covers, where I sat with both children under my arms.

Within minutes, my son said, "mama, I can't do this New Years Eve thing anymore." Which I then told him the countdown wasn't all that it's cracked up to be and it was ok to go to sleep. But when I looked to my left, my daughter was already snoring. And his eyes fell closed a second later.

My husband and I smirked at each other, relishing in the cuteness that surrounded my still body. We watched a little bit more of Rockin Eve, under the glow of the side table lamp, before carrying the children upstairs to their beds. 

However, my daughter woke back up during the transfer and quickly begged to come back downstairs, which of course we obliged. Although, my son didn't even stir and was out sleeping like a log, with a do not disturb sign shadowed over his body.

And at midnight, my daughter banged those pots and pans under the star lit night...

I've never seen her happier, standing there, jammy clad, with her long light brown hair disheveled on top of her head, looking more mature by the minute.

After both children were sleeping, about 3 minutes after midnight, it was down to just my husband and I... Like old times. But instead of fancy clothes and disco lights, we were in our jammies and on our fluffy oversized couch. And I'll tell you, I'm having more fun in this life, than I ever had in my past life...

And when the night was at its close, I felt immensely grateful for my life. I felt such satisfaction of where it is, this very moment. 

See, over the years, I've learned that there is so much more to life than what society deems successful. I personally view success from how happy you are as a person, versus how well you are financially. My husband and I went from a life of money and "things," to a life of one income and simplicity. And once we stopped trying to keep up with the Jones', I have never been more at peace. 

You realize happiness is being home with your children, cooking fresh meals, being available to your family when they need you, and spending the summer's outdoors and making memories. Not being at a 9-5 job so you can have the biggest house, the newest cars, the fanciest clothes, and the latest technology. 

I feel just as important in my role, as I would as a working mom. To me, there isn't a difference. Both are contributing the same, just in different ways. And I never feel less superior to my husband because I don't have an income. If anything, I feel stronger, because I'm the one who holds this whole life together...

Sometimes, all you need to do is, be present. 

And stop worrying about so much stuff...

Because, as long as your bills are paid and you have a roof over your head, then you are by far, richer than you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment