Monday, December 19, 2016

After a 5 week District strike, we finally returned to school ...

Today, after 5 weeks, our district finally resumed classes. Our strike is technically not over yet. But the teachers did decide to return, even though a new contract hasn't been reached. I personally, don't want to involve myself in the logistics of it all (the negotiations tactics portion) and I don't have an opinion about the debacle between the administration and the teachers. I do however, have an opinion about us being responsible for making up the missed days that we didn't request off in the first place. I understand that it all balances itself out in the end, but in order to make the balance, we'll have our holidays, vacations, and breaks revoked and will have to stay in school until June 30 (our original end date was June 9).

That is my biggest problem of this whole debatable argument that the children and parents are stuck in the middle of...

My secondary problem is the control that districts seem to have over our children. We just had 5 weeks off which were excused absences. However, if I wanted to take my child out for a week of school for a vacation or a family function, those days would be unexcused. Why is that not OK, but the other is? And how did we as parents, allow someone else so much power over our children's lives?

I really think parents should have taken advantage of the public attention this strike has brought to our district and picketed along side the teachers with their requests to reformat the policies regarding who decides what is best for our children. And, to finally make a change with our educational system and jump on board with other top countries such as, Finland, who teach to the child's strengths and doesn't make the child fit the education system. There are great teachers in our district who take the time out to make learning fun, validate feelings within the child, and create a calming atmosphere that isn't centered around tests and performances. But if I had to guess, the district would be happier with teachers pushing solely the information that will be tested on our state exams, which in turn, creates funding for the schools based on high performances. Personally, I think it says more about the District when the child's grades are higher based on how the teachers are performing. That should rank higher, rather than, how a child does on one test.  

Especially since, charter schools and homeschooling are now becoming more and more popular for the freedom of unstructured, unregimented, non test oriented learning that is tailored to child's functional ability, that helps increase success. And some of these children are ranking higher in academics, than the children that are in formal school settings...

However, I did not have a problem with the bonus amount of time that I was able to spend with my child due to the strike. I actually loved having her home with me all day. In fact, I was incredibly sad watching her return through the doors today.

When she woke this morning, she was sadden when we never received a robo call cancelling school. I think she was just as surprised as I was that the Union didn't back out of the start date, again. She held tightly onto me at breakfast and followed me around the kitchen. I made jokes, she laughed -very little. But, we felt the noose tighten, as we drove closer to school. 

We enjoyed our time together. I must say, it was a lovely gift to have during a time when it's not normal or expected. I loved having the option to run out in the snow right after breakfast. Craft in the afternoon. Read some books in the evening. And, fit math problems in between.

I was sad for all that to come to an end.

But here we are, December 19, where our classes resumed, but we're still unaware of all the uncertainties that lie ahead. We still don't know if our 10 day holiday break will be honored. If Easter/spring break will be a thing. Or, if they'll decide to strike again before January 1st, or again in March.

You'd think as taxpayers, we would have more say in where our money is going and what goes on between this situation, instead of lawyers and Union Reps deciding. But, I guess that goes with what I mentioned above, that when it comes to the school systems, they are more powerful than we are as taxpayers...

So for now, I guess we just have to strap on our seat belts and grip tightly onto the handle bars, as we unwillingly participate in this chaotic ride. But during that, I'll take advantage of the unexpected extra days that I'm "allowed" to be with my child. And secretly, I'll pray that somehow, they nullify the 180 days schedule so it's beneficial for the children, because after all, aren't they the ones who it's supposed to be all about anyways?

** I want to reiterate, that when it comes to this strike and negotiations, I'm not for one side or the other. Our community has been severely divided due to these circumstances and I don't want to be part of that. We've had parents acting out and yelling at board members during meetings and even cursing at the teachers on the picket line, and that is unacceptable. We have had temperatures that only reached highs of 15 degrees and the teachers continued to walk the picket line daily. That's dedication... Also, my daughter has been blessed with two amazing teachers so far and I have many friends within the district that I'm grateful for and support. However, until they want to raise my taxes, I'm staying out of it all. Because, my main focus is my child and what is best for her. And I want to bring awareness in how missing these days and taking others away, effects the lives of others besides the two groups that are in the argument. And how eventually, something has to be changed within our educational system... I hope some agreement is made that benefits all the people involved, the teachers, the district, the taxpayers, and the families.

No comments:

Post a Comment