Friday, December 23, 2016

Quick ramblings of our Christmas week...

The week before Christmas is what we call, Christmas Palooza... This is when we're skipping around like little elves, finishing all the last minute touches and cramming all the details into the last few days. 

Our kindness elves are almost done with their 25 acts of kindness and my children's Play Mobile advent calendar has only 2 days left. And tomorrow, has the best pieces yet.

We kick started this week off by making four different types of cookies, all double to triple batches... This was the first year my son participated the whole time, which was great for him to be a part of it, but not so great for every aspect that goes into the cookie making. To sum it up, his role would be equivalent to a pinterest fail... There was more dough and flour on him than in the cookies and my floor was speckled with christmasy sprinkles beneath his chair. He had fun and truly, that's all that matters. I've learned not to be so uptight with messes and perfection, otherwise, I'd been in a straight jacket years ago... However, my daughter was the one working the dough and pumping out cookies as quickly as I was. She helped a lot last year, but this year, she was pouring ingredients and whipping them up so fast, that I had trouble keeping up with her.

The next day, we rushed home from school to pull off into our local church parking lot to await the arrival of Santa riding on the town's fire truck... After 1.5 hrs later of waiting, the sirens were still being heard across town and we were all getting hungry. Both children didn't want to leave without seeing him and we still had homework to do and dinner that had to be made. That's when I got the idea to go drive around and hunt down the fire truck. Thankfully, we live in a small town where everything is condensed. So, the image I'm about to portray, is based on actual events... We threw the car in drive and headed up the hill, the two front windows were rolled down and the car was silent. We held our heads close to the outside and listened as we gauged where the sirens were coming from. With a few turns and straight aways, I stumbled upon the flashing red lights bouncing off the houses on the right side street. I quickly pulled into the narrow street, cutting off the fire truck, which of course, he proceeded to lay on his horn. Of course he did. I hopped out of my car, like I was a bad guy, who just dismounted from their horse and now is attempting to rob the train. I apologized and told the driver that we were in search of them. That, we were waiting up at the church across town and we didn't know how long the journey was going to be... He laughed and said, they wouldn't hit that side of town for about another 2 hours or so. He then told me to bring the children out so they could see and talk to Santa. Which they did. And they were thrilled. And their parting gift was a stocking full of candy.

And the fire truck ended up across town to where we originally were, 2.5 hrs later. That's a mental note for next year.

The following night, the elves brought my children a gingerbread house to make. Nothing too exciting happened with that. I really expected it to fall apart and become like all the social media pictures. But it actually went pretty flawlessly. Both kids divided up the house, so they each had a side and a door to decorate and tada! It was done... No arguing. No tears... I'll take that one as a win.

This brings us to Wednesday night, this night was our favorite. Although, chasing down a fire truck with Santa riding on top was a close second. We loaded up in our car, all of us were gussied up in our jammies, with hot chocolate in our cup holders, Christmas music blasting through the speakers, and baggies full of homemade cookies in our hands, as we drove around our local town looking at Christmas lights and decorations. Any other day of the week, this would be known as casing the neighborhood, but this week, it's socially acceptable. And even encouraged...

We sang, Rockin' around the Christmas Tree, too loudly and out of sync for most people's comfort level, but we had fun. My children screeched at their favorite houses. And, my son tried to fall asleep, which resulted in us having to drive around with the car light on, like it was an interrogation light in a made for TV movie.

The last night was tonight, Friday. Thursday was spent with my mother-in-law, sipping coffee and eating cookies around my coffee table. But tonight, we watched The Santa Clause as a family. Well, we tried. We were about half way through until the UPS driver knocked on our door with our final package for the Christmas season. This present wasn't a surprise. This was a gift from my mother-in-law to my children, for our new ninja warrior basement we're going to complete after the holidays. This package had a 6 knot rope climb and an 8 ft rope latter (which will eventually be the climbing tools to reach our monkey bars). But for tonight, they were the perfect item to place on the old swing hooks that rest in the beam of my kitchen doorway. So, the movie was no longer important anymore, and my children hung and climbed from these two items until it was time for bed...

Then bedtime came and went quickly, as they both were so eager to start tomorrow's festivities. We read our Christmas stories and my children prayed and prayed that Santa will stop by tomorrow to see them, just as he's done every year prior.

So here I sit, typing away, as my husband is putting together his present that his mother bought him. I stutter step between thoughts as he curses behind me when he can't figure out where a piece is supposed to fit. I laugh, as I refuse to help him. He babbles under his breath to himself. Hell, I wrapped every present and assembled presents, while he watched. So, it's only fair... And things have to balance out some how... 

And, we still have to clean the house before tomorrow...

But thanks for listening to my Christmas week. I know this isn't the typical, everyday storytelling post, that I normally write. But sometimes, I like to switch things up and write based on how I usually am -sarcastic, with my thoughts moving a mile a minute hahaha.  

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment