Sunday, December 6, 2015

A day away brings forth a revelation


I quietly packed a bag as I maneuvered myself around my home, trying my hardest not to be seen by my children. The phone rung in the background and I immediately opened my hand, dropping the contents on the floor, as I reached for the phone. My mom called, asking to speak with my daughter to invite her over for the day, after previously confirming the details with me... She eagerly obliged. 

When she was younger, she always went to their house for daily trips and random sleep overs, with just the three of them. They were known as, Nana and Poppy days...

I continued packing the day bag for her to take along, until my son walked up behind me and asked what I was doing. I tried my best to change the subject or distract him from the bag, not knowing for sure what his reaction would be if he knew.

Within minutes, my german shepherd was barking at the back door in excitement as my parents walked up the driveway. Both my children ran their little legs down the stairs to the back door in seconds flat, only stopping once caught by nana and poppy's arms.

My son immediately asked why they were there, looking confused and a little worried. My daughter instinctively said she was going to spend the day with them (Without hesitating because her brother never minded previously). My son replied back, "I'm going too?" Then, my mom answered, "not today." It was in that moment, my son broke down crying. It wasn't a tantrum crying because he didn't get his way. Instead, it was a heart broken cry. I assume because it's been months since he has went anywhere without her and he's also getting older now. We all stood around him as his sister hugged him tightly and told him how much she loved him. She rubbed his back as he cried and told him funny jokes, just trying to cheer him up. Then she turned to her nana and poppy and asked if he could join them on their Nana and Poppy day. My parent's answered yes, without question. Hearing that, his little red eyes perked open and his mouth widened with joy. He clapped his hands together and squeezed his sister tighter.

I helped them into their car seats, as I said my goodbyes, kissing and hugging them a few dozen times too many. As they drove down the driveway, I waved my hand, watching the smiles on both my children's faces grow, as their car faded down the street.

I stood there in the freezing cold, with my bare feet touching the concrete and goosebumps on my exposed arms. I was incredibly proud of my daughter. She's always with her brother, every minute of everyday. And she looks forward to this special time away from us, with her beloved nana and poppy. However, her love for her brother is much deeper than a single day away. In the end, she choose her brother's feelings over her own. And I was speechless in that moment, when I realized she is only 5 years old.

When they arrived back home, a few hours later, I ran to the car. I was beyond excited to see my two favorite people in the world. My son sat in his car seat all proud and happy -he's never spent a whole day away from me prior. And my daughter was just as happy as him. She hugged him again and said she had the best day with him and she wouldn't have enjoyed a single second of it without him. He said, "thank you" and told her that he loved her.

I hovered in the background, watching this unbelievably precious moment unfold before my eyes...

The beginning was a rocky start for these two. My daughter had a very hard time adjusting to sharing me with her new brother and didn't like that this new baby was staying. But as time passed, relationships formed. And right now, in this very moment, that little boy means more to her than anyone or anything else... They are more than just brother and sister, they are best friends. And I'm the lucky mom who gets to witness them together.


**Remember, if you enjoy reading my blog posts, please vote for The Happy Days! To vote, go to my main page, www.jackyhappydays.blogspot.com and click on the Top Mommy Blog's icon in the right side column. Once clicked, you'll be redirected to their website. That is all you need to do, the vote will be registered. The more votes I get, the higher my ranking will get. The higher the rank, the more traffic that comes through The Happy Days... Thank you all for your continued support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment