Friday, July 21, 2017

All of the sudden, I have a tween in my home...

All of the sudden, out of nowhere, I feel like I have a tweener in my home... In just a few short months, my days went from having my daughter underfoot, to her silently off in her room watching YouTube videos or reading.


She's entered this new stage where she absolutely fur-reaks out over new songs being posted by her favorite YouTube artists and new Vlogs being uploaded. Or, even when she walks into Claires and new products are being introduced. And all of the sudden, she's reading Teen Beat magazines to find out about her favorite stars and is trying to emulate their style.




She loves to paint her nails, brush her hair while singing in front of the mirror, and wear colorful clothes with matching accessories. 



Her newest obsession is JoJo Siwa and I have to admit, she's pretty rad. My daughter has her poster hung above her dresser and her bows dangling from a belt hung on her wall. And, she shrieks at the sight of her guest appearing on her favorite Nick shows.

And she's loving Sophia Grace and I hear her songs on repeat all day...

But I remember this age far too clearly. I remember having 90210 and New Kids on the Block posters and accessories in my room. And being so excited for NKOTB's new songs to be released on newly designed CDs. And then, jamming out to all the songs on the highest volume in my bedroom, with the infamous hairbrush microphone.

I remember walking the mall with friends and shopping at Claires, Spencers, and Maurices. And giggling, like the stereotypical phrase, teenage girls...

I remember this golden age of being young, but secretly wanting to be older. To not yet know who I was, but walking the fine line of trying to figure it all out...

As my daughter is quickly approaching 7 years old, I find myself reminiscing her earlier years. I scroll through old photos of the first time I held her and all her firsts from there. I remember funny stories and moments that still make me laugh today. And I remember moments that make me want to relieve every second all over again.

But as time passes, and I see this new girl emerge, it makes letting go of the past easier. I become excited to see who she is and who she'll become. Because right now, she's loving getting older. She's loving the freedom and this new world that is opening up in front of her...

And, as I watch her transition to this new "tween" stage, I know I'll keep falling further from her spotlight. And, as much as I'll miss being the source of her everything, I know it's all OK. I know great things are happening. And now, I get to see her begin her adventure of finding herself, away from mommy's hip. One where she'll be texting friends, having sleep overs, posting YouTube videos, and staying on the phone late night, gossiping to friends...

And simply, growing up...

Change is never a good thing for me, but I am excited to see all the change that awaits for this special girl over these next few years. And as much as I miss her being so little and being the center of her world, I know she'll never be too old to snuggle and never stop needing me. And, even though her needs will be different, I'll always be the keeper of the place that she comes back to.

And that makes it so much easier to watch her become who she was meant to be... And knowing I get to watch it all unfold and be there to guide her every step she needs, makes it all incredibly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment