Thursday, September 13, 2018

To my baby boy... The kindergartener.



It's raining, yet again... 
This weather displays the image of how I feel on the inside. 
It's been a week since you started kindergarten, and I've been home without you. 
You've been sitting in a new place, that is filled with things that are different from what you're used to.
There are new sights, people, and that odd cafeteria smell that seems to stay with you, twenty years later.
There are sounds of unfamiliar voices and the squeak of brand new shoes on the newly waxed floors.
You are hearing the way your name sounds through the crowded playground. And I'm sure it sounds completely different, than it does at home.
You will learn about hand raising and taking turns.
You will learn that not everyone is raised the same way and reacts the same.
Some of it you know.
And others, you wish you never knew.
You will learn the basics and you will learn about life.
You will have that phase where I am the most important person in your life. Then eventually, your friends will be.
You will try out every size and shape wings, until you find the pair that was meant for you all along...
I look around and see five years of memories... And, I have loved every minute of it.
I remember so clearly, when you were a baby. I would carry you in your burnt orange colored sling and dip my chin, to kiss the top of your head. A head that is full of beautiful ideas, big dreams, and plans for adventures.
I'd sway back and forth, singing to you, as we attended one of your sister's many activities -and you were always happy to go along for the ride.
I begged for time to stand still.
I swore my heart couldn't handle both of my children aging at this rapid pace.
But I know, time can't stand still. Instead, the heart finds a new way to accept all the impending changes.
And learns to love all of them, even more...

No comments:

Post a Comment