Sunday, March 21, 2021

Don't teach your daughter that abuse is a sign of love...


"Never tell your daughter that when a boy is mean or rude to her, it's because he has a crush on her. Don't teach her that abuse is a sign of love."

This actually happened to my daughter when she was in public elementary... My daughter was pushed down by a boy at recess - she had elbow and knee scrapes to the point that she was bandaged up.

I never received a call or anything.

At pick up, I saw this and immediately asked, "what the heck happened!" Because, I was that shocked... She told me, a boy pushed her down at recess and when she told the teacher, the boy didn't get yelled at. Instead, the teacher told her that he probably likes her, because "boys do things like that, when they like girls." And, that was the end of the conversation... My daughter said, the teacher made her feel like she did something wrong.

I quickly turned the car around and drove right to the office to seek out this teacher... I came in hot and vented to the office staff, who were very taken back by the teacher's actions... I reiterated how it's not the teacher's place to offer advice on a topic that doesn't involve her. That, the teacher's sole job was to make sure my daughter was ok. Not to make her feel like she did something wrong and just point her to the direction of the nurse's office... And, I did state that it's perfectly ok if she wants to raise her children to believe this old world notion, but I refuse to teach either of my children this logic - especially, my daughter...

Ironically, it just so happened that the teacher in question was standing in the back of the office and heard the whole thing. She looked as if she wanted to crawl into a hole to hide. She slowly sauntered over and started to apologize. But, I didn't want to hear her apology - I just wanted her to understand her place as a teacher - and, it's not to share her moral objectives to her students.

These things will continue to happen to our children, until adults take a stand and stop it. These old world ideals will eventually change, only when adults start respecting children and treating them like they're humans - not second rate citizens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me over on my Instagram account - @the_happy_days

No comments:

Post a Comment