Sunday, March 2, 2014

Morning play time

I wake up almost the same way every day -with my daughter hovering over my sleeping body -whispering words like "mommy pleeeease wake up, I've been sleeping forever" (it was probably more like 8 hours, but I guess that's forever for a 3 year old).

I take a quick glance over to the video monitor to see what my son is doing and 9/10 times, he's usually still sleeping 13 hours later. But on occasions, he's awake and contently playing nicely in his crib - singing, yelling, or stacking cups –all by himself.

That is my usual scenario.

However, I’m guessing the maturing of my son has finally made him more appealing to my daughter. He’s able to walk, throw a ball, push ride toys with his feet, and turn pages in books. She is slowly (and I mean slowly) becoming more intrigued by him.

So I wasn’t too surprised when I was woken up in the morning by the sounds of giggles and laughter coming from my son’s room. I rubbed my eyes as I peered into the video monitor, seeing both of my kids in the crib.

I sat on the edge of my bed watching the two of them as she was reading a book to him. She would ask him a question and he would answer with the appropriate sound –i.e. “What does the doggy say?” he replied, “woof woof.” She would giggle with pride as they high fived and he would lean his head over onto her shoulder with a coy smile.

I realize this isn’t an everyday occurrence and I shouldn’t expect them to be best friends every minute of every day. But watching them interact with such kindness and love actually made my heart smile.

I’m hoping this is a big step forward in their life of friendship.


And, I’m hoping I wake up to more images like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment