Sunday, March 16, 2014

She demonstrates leadership skills

I recently read a quote on social media that said, “I want every little girl who is told she is bossy to be told she has leadership skills.”

I absolutely love this statement.

I tend to use this as a way of describing my daughter. My little girl is at a stage where she is opinionated, steadfast, and fighting her way up the alpha pole. She knows what she wants and how to get it, but not in a defiant way.  She doesn’t use strategies like throwing tantrums, whining, or batting eyelashes, she just bluntly states her case and backs it up with in-depth explanations.

By the way, she’s only 3.

I get flustered parenting a child with such a strong personality. I feel like the bantering back and forth should be saved when she’s entering into puberty. There are times when she’ll argue a case with so many different examples (and proof), that she ends up winning (because it makes sense).

I often find myself saying, “yes, you are correct. That makes sense.”

She definitely isn’t a wallflower –She doesn’t have the ability to sit back and follow everyone’s order play by play.

She’s a girl with her own plan and charisma to back it up.

She is a girl who doesn’t follow the trend...

She is a girl who isn’t afraid to speak her mind.

She is a girl who wears her mermaid costume to the grocery store.

She is a girl who wears Jake and the Neverland Pirates underroos under her pink pants.

She is a girl that takes someone’s hand and leads them in a different direction.

When I think of a girl and how I would like her personality to be, I think of my daughter and her display of strong leadership skills. Sure, it’s tough now because everyone expects their children to just do whatever they say without presenting another way of doing it. But I find, by allowing her to have an opinion at such a young age, she is developing the ability to think for herself. And that is a skill with immense importance later in life.


So if someone were to ask me if my daughter is bossy, I will reply, she is a leader who isn’t afraid to walk a different path from the one other people want - And that skill makes me proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment