Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer fun: The simple things

My small little 10x30 pool sits nestled snuggly on our patio, between our house and our grass hill. The walkway between is big enough for an adult to walk sideways, forget it when my daughter dashes out the door to greet guests –you then have to bust out your fancy footwork.

This little pool, nothing glamorous, has been our outdoor oasis for over a month now. A simple little pool that is big enough for her to learn to swim and for my son to walk around pretending he’s a boat.

On hot summer days, the outside is scorching from high noon’s sun rays cascading down, but the pool is shaded by a covering maple tree –keeping both kids safe from direct sun contact. I sit under my umbrella, eyes watchful, as my two kiddos play and laugh the day away –Their favorite nursery rhyme CD is looping on repeat in the background. I hear the occasional, “mommy! Look, I can swim from side to side without stopping!” Or, my son making motor sounds as he maneuvers himself through the waves his sister has created.

Something about warmth and water makes days better.

The bigger things don’t seem to matter as much.

Cooking isn’t fancy.

Clothing is simple.

Dollar store accessories are like a million bucks.

Food tastes much better, when consumed from a floating raft.

These summer days are memories being made.

Children are wonderful in the fact that they don’t realize this pool only cost me $40. I’m not sure they would even care if they knew.  All they know is, they look forward to running out the door and being hoisted into the water, with arm swimmies and bathing suits donned, and beating the summer heat.

This little, simple pool has made their day better.


It truly is the simple things in life that makes it all complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment