Sunday, July 13, 2014

They're more than family, they're siblings

Months have been clicking away faster than any second hand I have ever witnessed. One minute, it seemed like the arguing and disconnect between my daughter and son would never end. But as time continues to flow and stages pass, their disconnect is forming into a connection. Their love is growing and their friendship is forming. 

They’re more than family, they’re siblings.

The silence in my house is almost deafening. If I see my daughter go into her bedroom, then my son, and seconds later I don’t hear yelling, I almost fall off my chair running into the room questioning what is going on. It doesn’t seem normal to walk in and see them playing or reading on the floor, either together or separately.

My daughter no longer spends her time shushing him, or telling me to get him out. She now seeks him out to play with him, to dote on him, and educate him.

He’s finally on her level. He’s a person, a playmate.

They ride their big wheels on top speed around my house.

They play Sheriff Callie, riding on horses.

They play animals and crawl around on the floor.

They still have their screaming matches –to see who can do it louder, while giggling in hysterics.

They also parallel play in each other’s bedrooms. Or sometimes, they play with his cars together on the road carpet.

These two are putting their imaginations together and play has advanced. It’s becoming more drawn out and palpable.

The best part of this whole turn-around is that my son, who has always worshipped the ground my daughter has walked on, is finally able to be a part of her day. He gets to engage in the imagination, instead of watching from the outside, being told he’s too little.

Instead of having breakfast at the kitchen table, I put it on their own table in the playroom (which is an extension of the kitchen). They eat their breakfast together, while giggling and playing table games. The other day, they both carried their breakfast into her room and sat on her bed eating, while watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

He didn’t look like a toddler, he looked like another 3 year old alongside with her.

He doesn’t speak very much. He says only a few words, not even words that help him communicate effectively. But somehow, these two communicate perfectly. He knows when to mimic, when to follow, or when not to follow her.

They spend a lot of time cuddling on the floor, watching their favorite cartoons.

They love to explore and go on adventures together.

She is his big sister and is living the part. She takes care of him and makes sure he is safe at all times.

She loves to sing lullaby songs to him when he becomes frustrated.

She loves to bring him his stuffed doggy and green Sherpa blanket when he’s tired.

She is incredibly loving to him, as he is to her.

They have a bond that is more than family –They’re siblings.


I’m not sure what has changed, or if this is just another stage that will quickly become a fad. But right now, in this moment, my heart is smiling. My heart is filled with love. I have never loved as much as I love my two children, and to have them playing in separate corners most of the day is overwhelming and heartbreaking. These new actions are all I could ever hope for among my two children. I realize their relationship will never be perfect and some days will be better than others. But this step is a great foundation to start with. From now on, when they argue, I don’t have to worry about their underlying feelings being negative, because they’re not. Instead, I’ll just chalk it up to a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment