Sunday, February 1, 2015

Until tomorrow

The heavy snow is blanketing the cold, stiff ground. The skies are dark and the sounds are eerily silent. With a hot cup of tea in my hand, I watch the snowfall through my picture window from the comforts of my warm home. Not a car in sight as far as my eyes can see. Everything is peacefully calm.


I check over my shoulder a few times, waiting to hear someone call my name, but the background is soundless, as both kids were read stories, rocked, and tucked into bed.

...Now fast asleep.

I sit alone to enjoy the stillness of the night.

But not alone tomorrow...

When the sun peeks through my daughter's white lace curtains, her eyes will open quicker than the rooster can cock-a-doodle-doo.

She will race to my room and beg to go outside, even before her stomach registered that breakfast hasn't been served.

Her brother will run too, not really knowing why, but he'll join in with excitement, to do whatever his big sister is suggesting.

Our day will be filled with outdoor air, sleigh riding fun, and snowman architecture. 

...Anything their mind can imagine, will be achieved.

Then we'll warm up with a cup of hot chocolate, with lots of hugs and snuggles.

The next day, the rhythmic cycle will begin again... and I'll sit quietly, staring out my window, while watching the beauty of the outdoors unfold before my eyes.

...Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment