Sunday, May 10, 2015

I was mom

4.5 years ago, my life was changed forever. One minute, I was riding high on a life I was so familiar with. A life that I had grown to know and expect. Then, so quickly, it felt like I was engulfed in a life that was so unfamiliar, it was scary.

However, the moment my daughter was placed into my arms, was the first time my heart began beating. I felt a new life form right in front of my eyes, and without hesitation, my past life wasn't any more. The new scene wasn't so scary and all those years of repetitious familiarity, was nothing compared to that moment.

The moment where I became mom...
...A person I wasn't familiar with, but happily became adjusted to.

The sleepless nights, the colicky fits, and the difficulty eating... Nothing could take that image from me.

I was mom.

These past years have been amazing. The most wonderful journey I have ever embarked on. She is unbelievably funny, thoughtful, and loving. She's bright, quick witted, and contains an old soul. She has made this unfamiliar new life, completely familiar.

At that point, I never thought this new life could get any greater...
...That is, until my son was placed into my arms.

Once again, I felt my life change in front of my eyes. Even though I was already a seasoned parent, I became a new parent all the same. Although, this time, I had to battle with the thought of, How do I have enough love for two children?

He made it simple.

She made it simple.

When I thought my heart was at maximum capacity and couldn't hold an ounce more, it expanded... It expanded as much as I needed. There wasn't a skip in love, not even a hiccup. Life unfolded just as it was supposed to.

This new little boy that was before me was marvelous. He is sensitive, loving, imaginative, and quite comical. He doesn't have a tough bone in his body, only love. Also, he could win an award for the love he has for his sister. Sometimes, I think he loves her, more than he loves breathing.

These two wonderful creatures have completed my life, a life I didn't even know I was missing out on. They are wonderful beings that provide more joyous experiences than I ever had in my life. Watching them grow and develop into their own person has been such a privilege. 

They have made this unfamiliar life, anything but unfamiliar.

I felt like I was born to be this...

Their mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment