Sunday, May 31, 2015

The newer version of siblings

Two years have rolled by without many changes in my son's life. His development halted to a crawl, slowly passing milestones, and he continued to follow his sister's every move the way a shadow would mimic. He didn't stand out in the house, he was quiet, shy, and content taking a back seat to his sister's flamboyant personality. However, over these past few months, he has made leaps and bounds with progression. He has transformed from a baby into this beautiful, individual, little boy.

My son, now 27 months, is 100% appeased with saying no to sister. With a quiet background, my son would follow his sister's orders, doing as she stated. Now, that quiet background is filled with my daughter stating something and my son replying, "no <insert her name>, me do!" or, "no, play this." Of course, my daughter had a hard time deciphering this new person. She was used to the old one, the one we have grown to expect for the past 2 years.

Like us, she quickly and happily became adjusted.

This newer, maturer, little boy has opened doors in our lives. He no longer is an obstruction in my daughters way, he is equal to her, he is her friend. 

Before, with his lack of vocabulary and his inability to vocalize what he wanted, she viewed him as a baby. She figured there wasn't any way this boy could be fun.

She quickly learned otherwise.

Once lonely days that were spent playing by herself are now encapsulated with memories being built with her brother.

He talks (so much more), he's incredibly lovable, and thoughtful just like his sister -they both would give anyone their last piece of food if someone else needed it. When he isn't playing with his cars, he can be found conjuring up trouble with his big sister, but this time, he's a helping hand with instigating the chaos.

Right now, his personality is rivaling his sister's boisterous one -With his talkative nature, comical jokes, and stage performances.

They've moved on from a one sided relationship to an engaging one.

Recently, I'm not the main focus of their lives anymore. I find myself with more time to finish my cup of coffee, instead of being asked 500 questions, or pleaded to do something fun. After breakfast, they quickly leave the table to play in their playroom. From there, while I clean up, I can hear their imaginations blooming and their interactions escalating. They pretend with their toys, or they pretend with each other. And sometimes, they can be found sitting shoulder to shoulder, with my daughter reading my son a book. Or, my daughter teaching him new preschool lessons on her Kindle.

They love to be outdoors, partaking on vast adventures or hiking trips in our backyard. They explore and find treasures everywhere their imaginations will allow. They swing on the swing set for hours, while my daughter sometimes coaxes him into American Ninja Warrior obstacles.

He was excited for her when she learned to push herself on the swing and she was excited for him when he was able to swim across the pool himself.

He cheered the loudest when my daughter hit the ball or made a play in t-ball and she is delighted when he generates a new sentence.

The best part is, she is one of his biggest supporter, as he is hers.

At nighttime, I could listen for hours from the monitor, as I hear my son sneak into his sister's room and talk about the day. She invites him in her bed to watch My Little Pony: Equestria Girls on her Kindle and he kindly obliges. Sometimes I hear, "no more ponies peas" from my son, but that is a rare occurrence. By the time I enter the room, they're both fast asleep and closely snuggled next to each other, with Equestria Girls still playing softly in the night. 

The once quiet house is now filled with laughter, conversations, story telling, imaginary play, and sometimes, arguing. Memories are being documented in time right before my eyes. Each photo taken of both children will forever be saved for the future. When they sit down to flip through an old photo album to reminiscence some of their favorite times, these will be the moments they remember. These days will be the most recounted... Because, these are their happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment