Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter morning: The magical voyage

As the night came to an end and Easter bedtime stories were read. While both kiddos were sound to sleep, I tip toed through my downstairs hiding plastic coin filled Easter eggs. Making sure my old wooden floors didn’t creak. Their baskets already stuffed with delicious homemade chocolate and a toy a piece anxiously awaited them.

Morning came too abrupt. My daughter made the quickest leap between opening her eyes and standing up -Completely ignorant of anyone around her sleeping. She didn’t care to eat breakfast, just eager to embark on the egg hunting journey.

My son played quietly in his crib, unaware of the holiday.

Once downstairs, my daughter clean swept the area of eggs –her mother’s competitive genetics shine through on occasions like these. She did pause a few times to aid assistance to her laggard brother.

He followed her every move, walking in her footprints, only steps away. He didn’t care if he found one egg (I’m not even sure he completely knew what was going on), he only cared that he was sharing this excitement with his sister.

She found his basket first, her eyes lit up when she saw the self-propelled Thomas the Train set the Bunny left for him and commented with, “brother, you’re going to love this!” My son squealed with excitement.

My daughter didn’t stay in one place too long. She doesn’t tend to let grass grow under her feet. She continued to race around to find hers, discovering more eggs along the way. Finally finding her basket and unveiled her toys, Kwazi’s Octosuit (from Octonauts) that she begged for. Then, tucked away alongside the record player, she found the Wonder Pet’s Schoolhouse, something she has been asking for since Christmas.

My husband followed them around with the video camera, while I snapped the memories with my camera. We do not buy our children things throughout the year, only holidays and special occasions. So I enjoy providing well for them on these occurrences.

I love watching their faces (or my daughter’s, since she’s the one who really understands what is happening) when they see a toy they love, or their eyes glowing from excitement, and their giggles from the joy.

It’s moments like these that make the overwhelming daily grind worthwhile.

It’s moments like these that allow me to step back and appreciate my little family -The happiness I’m able to bring to them on this very Easter. 


I’m able to envelop in the magic of Easter and share the mystery with both of them. As a parent of young children, I realize these are only going to be a few short adventures in time and right now, I’m grateful I’m able to charter the voyage with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment