Sunday, April 13, 2014

Who talks more?

There’s something about the volume in my home, maybe it’s the fact that we’re Italians, but everyone is loud. Well not everyone, my husband isn’t, but the rest of us are –even my German Shepherd is very vocal. There is always something going on. A loud based conversation, songs playing in the back ground, or both of the kiddos participating in imaginative play –very loudly.

To me, silence is deafening. Noise is soothing.

As the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, my daughter is a mini me -Constantly talking to hear the sound of her voice, whether she is singing, adding commentary, or just asking questions. On a normal day, my daughter and I get into a competition of who can say the most words. The sad part is, I’m losing –and that is saying a lot.

My daughter has reached the age where one simple explanation to one of her MANY questions throughout the day just isn’t good enough anymore. The “whys” have reached a level of insanity and that is the only time my brain needs a time out to stop and think.

It’s a rare moment if my daughter isn’t screeching through the house riding her big wheel at top speed, giggling, or singing at the highest level.  So it was only a matter of time until my son picked up the habit. At first, I thought he was taking after my husband and only speaking under dire need. However, I guess environmental influence is stronger than genetics after all.

Some of the tidbits he has picked up are, he walks into a room and yells, yes yells, “momma!” at the top of his lungs even if he’s looking right at me, then smiles and points. Or, he picks up his toy phone and strolls through the rooms having a loud babbling conversation with his gesturing hands animated every step of the way.

My daughter and son dance so heavy it sounds like a herd of elephants stomping through my home. They also stare at each other and scream at the highest pitch to see who can do it louder -while both of them giggle to the extreme. From the outside, this seems silly, but when you break down the unfolding image, you see two siblings sharing a common bond –a loud one. You see a younger sibling copying his older sister because he wants to emulate her. Watching this is very special to me. It is showing a positive progression in their relationship. Plus, that means my daughter is tolerating him long enough for them to even have moments like these.

In the end, I love that my home is loud and everyone is always talking because that means conversations are constantly ensuing. I love that my daughter is a free spirit and runs wildly and I absolutely love that my son is following suit.


Everyone’s family is different and to me what makes each of them special is that they’re tailored to fit the individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment