Tuesday, September 20, 2016

She's coming home...


My home feels different without my daughter's chattering voice echoing from room to room. The walls seem smaller and the air, thinner. The sounds are sometimes so quiet, that I can hear the trucks on the road from a few blocks away.

The days seem longer, but yet, I can't get as much done as I once did. My being is so used to having two children, that I still can't find a groove with only one child. 

My son also feels the shift in the home. He floats from room to room unsure of what to do without his big sister with us. He occasionally retreats into his playroom to play with his Batman guys, only for a few, before he saunters back out asking when she'll be home. I keep him busy (and myself) by playing and going places, but we feel incomplete as a unit of only two.

It's a vast change to be living one way for 6 years, then having the majority of your day turned upside down. 

But, we will grow and build and persevere as a different unit. And as time passes, we'll find what makes us click as a newly group of two. We'll create our special moments and make our time as memorable as my daughter's. So when he begins school, I'll have the same difficulty figuring out how to manage my day without him.

But until then, he and I will patiently wait until 3:30, when her beautiful smiling face runs to us after school, and we're all complete once again.

Our unit of 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment