Monday, November 14, 2016

A homeschooling opportunity...

Since my daughter started preschool, I silently battled my internal thoughts of wanting to homeschool. She had such a hard time leaving me and I wanted nothing more, but to hold her next to me forever. I wanted her to be sheltered from the other habits she would inevitably learn from her peers. And the whole structure of school itself doesn't resonate well with me.

But the reality is, she is a very social being who gets bored surrounded by the same walls everyday. And sometimes, even mom isn't as exciting to her anymore.

So, school has become a 6.5 hr social gathering for her, even though leaving me in the morning still continues to be a fete. However, she excitedly exits the building chattering away about her day. And making dinner has become our time to talk about all the things she experienced in her hours away from home.

Although, there are still times I bring back up the idea of homeschooling, but as she ages, it's not so much about keeping her securely attached to me, but more for the unschooling side of the education.

However, we are incredibly lucky to have an amazing first grade teacher this year. One who is very open to the individual needs of each child and isn't so focused on structure and control. She allows them the freedom to move about in class and do their work on the floor if that's where they please. She's understanding and compassionate. And her teaching, dulls the flame of the homeschool idea because, I know my daughter is experiencing a taste of unschooling.

Nonetheless, I also know, there probably won't be another teacher like her. So the homeschool flame will remain smoldering until the time is right.

But late Friday, we received final notification that our district will strike this Monday, until further notice. Which brought about an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

I emailed her teacher, asking about the structure of their day and their main areas of focus. Then, I designed a lesson plan based on their recent homework and the teacher's advice, with worksheets and materials included. 

This week, or two, or three, I will take this opportunity and homeschool my daughter.

And we both couldn't be more excited about it...

I sat her down and discussed the idea and that come Monday, we will be doing actual school, not just playing like we usually do. That she would have to respect the fact that I was now the one guiding her through her academic day. 

And not just being, plain old mom.

And hopefully, her brother will cooperate too...

So after she was asleep, I tore sheets out of her School Zone First Grade workbook and stapled each section together. I created a schedule and even packed a spare backpack, compete with a folder and pencil case. 

So come tomorrow, between the hours of 10:00 a.m-2:00 p.m, we will get a taste of what homeschooling will mean to us. So if eventually that is the avenue she wants to take, we'll be prepared.

*Come Friday's blog post, I'll update how the week went.

No comments:

Post a Comment