Monday, November 21, 2016

A little winter wonderland...

Our Saturday was a typical weird weather scenario for our area, during this time of the year. It started in the 70s and ended with snow and 29 degrees... You know, like dropping 40 degrees in 6 hours is completely normal. Because apparently, birkenstock sandals and snowboots are supposed to be worn in the same day.

The day time hours were a wonderful 70 degrees with full sunshine. We basked in the outdoors with short sleeve shirts and used the open space as our blank canvas.

The day ended when the sun was just about to set. That's when the dark clouds rolled in and the winds began to swirl. The cold wind kissed off our faces, as if icicles were being thrown at us. We retreated inside to eat dinner, before my husband and I got ourselves ready for our second date night of this year (my in-laws were watching our babies). But, by the time we arrived at my husband's friend's surprise 40th party, it was sleeting and the temperatures already dropped to 33 degrees.
Our drive home was a vision from the movie, Spaceballs; The part where they were driving ludicrous speed. The snow was so thick that we couldn't even see past our headlights, but the angle made it look like we were traveling at lightening speed. And at this time, my phone outdoor temperature read, 29 degrees. 

In the morning, I was awoken by my children shrieking once their little eyes saw the outdoor scene. Snow enveloped the grass and trees. About 4 inches of snow had fallen overnight. 


So we rushed breakfast and raced for the outdoors to play.

After snuggling them up with their snowsuit attire, they immediately dove into the snow. After not seeing snow since early this year. Luckily for me, this was the first year my tired body was able to only stand at the bottom of our backyard hill to play catcher. Versus, walking the sleds repeatedly up to the top, then running back down before they gave themselves the biggest push.

(I realize the snow doesn't look that deep here. That's because my husband hasn't cut our grass since the end of August and all the fallen leaves coated the high grass.)

My children's little legs trekked through the snow, as they climbed the hill for what seemed like the hundredth time. Snow dangled off the tips of their gloves, snow speckled my daughters long ponytail, and my son's cheeks were apple red.

Two and half hours had passed and the snow finally stopped falling on our heads. A snowman was made, hills were sledded, and we even pretended we were The Thundermans throwing snowballs at the evil dark mayhem.

We ended our fun by snuggling around our portable space heater, while watching the new Thundermans and drinking hot chocolate; Giving us time to defrost before lunch.

If Saturday was a glimpse of the joy snow will have on my children, then I say, bring it on winter! We cannot wait to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment