Friday, November 4, 2016

Is door to door trick or treating becoming a thing of the past?

I could remember being a child and having such anticipation for Halloween. For about a month prior, I would silently scope out all the houses I wanted to hit on Halloween night, when we drove through town. I even had 2-3 costume changes for the big day. And I always had a costume I wore to school and one that I wore out for trick or treating. 

I even went trick or treating until I was 17 years old and drove my friends. And the only reason I stopped at 18 years old, was because my then boyfriend was popular and I hid that quirky quality from him.

...Ah, the teenage years... 

Our school parade was a big celebration that continued well past the final bell of the day. Our parades weren't just on school grounds, but we also walked down the main street of town. Parents and spectators lined the sides, causing only single lane traffic to pass through.

I could remember rushing dinner as I kept one eye on the outside window, willing the sun to set. It would feel like Christmas eve and the anticipation of the night ahead was almost too much to bare. 

Then when it was time, we went to a local development that had about 90% of the houses lit, with well over a 100 houses. Each house was decorated immensely, with every detail thought of. I could remember one of the first houses had a cemetery theme. They even had a hearse and coffin on site and fog across the front yard. It was terrifying. But, it was an awesome conquest each year. So, I remember hiding behind my brother, following his footsteps and we gingerly walked through the grass, frightful of someone jumping up at some point. Which they always did.

Kind of like the houses that had bushes surrounding the porch and you knew someone was waiting behind to jump out.

When I was a child, I remember loving Halloween like Christmas. And it wasn't even about the candy, but more about the going door to door, telling jokes or funny stories, and getting scared in the process. And, the anticipation of what the next house will bring. And, even covering your eyes or laughing so hard because you're tripping over your friends or brother, trying to walk directly behind them without looking. 

So when my children reached the age of enjoying Halloween, I was beyond ecstatic to indulge with them. Right down to the eating candy at 9:00 pm while watching Halloween shows and eating candy for breakfast the next day.

Because come on, candy for breakfast is like a Christmas bonus your boss gives you.

But, Halloween isn't celebrated like it once was. There were more dark houses than lit and very few children walked the streets. Us adults, were truly disappointed in the evening. Of course, my children brought back a bag full of candy, so they were content, not knowing what a let down the night really was. Because for them, they don't have anything to compare it to.

From what I have heard from others, it seemed like more and more people are participating in those trunk or treats. And on Halloween night, our local fair grounds had a trick or treating event set up in the lot, which brought in about a 1,000 people. 

That explained the dark houses...
...And there were your trick or treaters who once filled the streets, while walking door to door, creating memories and seeking candy. 

I almost feel like trick or treating door to door on Halloween will eventually be an old fashioned story that is told to our children. Those stories that spoke of, "the good old days."

But in my household, we're fighting against the trunk or treats. We're keeping it "old fashioned" for as long as there are porch lights lit and doors to be knocked and candy to be had.

Because when my children think of Halloween, I want them to think of the walking, the running through the yards, the anticipation, the laughter in between, and the constant memorization of jokes to tell the next family.

And laughing hysterically when you messed up the joke, after practicing in between.

Not walking around a filled parking lot, like they're buying a black market item from someone's trunk... 



**I hope all of you and your families had a great Halloween... What was your experience? Thoughts on this topic? And what did your child/children dress as? 
My daughter went as Shimmer from Nickelodeon's Shimmer and Shine and my son was a Police Officer (Commissioner Gordon, from Batman).

No comments:

Post a Comment