Friday, June 23, 2017

Awaiting summer...

Just like my daughter, I could remember going to school until June 30th, during my sixth grade year. Although, that wasn't due to a teacher's strike, but instead, a State of Emergency was declared during a blizzard.

But looking back, I cannot remember what the weather was like in late spring. I cannot remember if I craved the end of the year so I could be outside all day, or to sleep in, or just be out of school. However, I do remember the countdown that was taped to my pink bedroom wall, as the school days seemed endless.

The good thing about this year is, our weather is horrible. It has rained almost everyday since March, with only scattered sunshine intermittently. The temperatures are warm, but the air is too wet to enjoy it, with an impending rainfall ready to ignite at any moment. So when I drop my daughter off at school, I don't have that urge to rebel and keep her home. I figure, she's not missing anything by being at school (not like this time last year, when we were at the lake everyday).

But either way, like her mama, she has a countdown written on her calendar. She's waiting for that last day with high hopes. Because to her, and every other child, that last day signifies the beginning of summer.

The days where we wake up and lounge in our pajamas until noon, or swim in the pool before breakfast, eat dinner around the fire on the blanket, or swim in the pool under the glow of the outdoor strung lights.






Summer is a time when the day isn't over because of an early bedtime. Instead, it's over when the skies are dark and our bodies are tired...

... From when we jump on the trampoline so many times our tummies hurt. Or, we hike around the woods until the adventure is over. Or, dance to 80's songs in our pajamas in the kitchen, while making muffins at 10:00 pm.

Summer is also a time when we aren't tied down to schedules or someone else's time clock...

Something that as a stay at home mom, I don't take for granted... Not for a second...

In my home, summer time is when we unplug ourselves from technology (with the occasional TV show or movie at night). And by joining in with my children, I'm able to give them a summer like I had in the 80's. Complete with bike riding through the neighborhood, amusement park trips, lake trips, camping trips, and ending the summer at the beach...

So, as we round this last week of school, our bodies are anxiously waiting at the starting line. Waiting for our days to begin...

Because childhood is meant to be enjoyed. And what a better time for that, then when the air is warm, the nights are long, and the time is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment