Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Five years ago, my little boy surfaced Earth-side... A tale of raising a boy with feelings.

Five years ago, I walked through my home, following around my newly turned two year old daughter. I rubbed my freakishly round belly and worried how in just a few short hours, my life was about to change.

A little boy, eagerly waited to come Earth-side. 

His wild swirls and kicks made his presences known daily. In the dark of night, I'd talk to him and I swore, he'd respond to my words... His big sister would read him countless stories and when she watched Dora the Explorer, she rested her head on my belly just to be closer to him... 

I couldn't wait to start this new chapter, but I was also very aware how different everything was going to be with a boy. 

But, all my hopes and aspirations for him challenged everything I've seen among the average boy. I never wanted to hear the phrases, "he's just a boy." Or, "he's all boy." I disliked those statements. It was like every boy gets a pass for his gender and the issues are never tended to. I didn't want to make excuses for him, which I hear so often. I wanted to spend the time raising him, just like I did/do with his sister.

My little boy was going to be different.

Not a boy to be forced into a role of expected social standards or have a gender specific title either. He was going to be raised the same way my daughter is, with lots of love and security. He wasn't going to be deprived of that, just because, he's a "boy."

He was to be his own person...

And 5 years later... 

He is so lovable and sweet.
Thoughtful and courteous.
Well mannered and kind.

He's not your quintessential "boy." Instead, he's himself, with a heart bigger than his almost 4ft frame.

He's a boy who loves Batman and Star Wars, but yet, loves Wonder Woman and playing home. He loves his video games, but yet, loves to pretend to cook.

He wants to save spiders and make sure the water dish for the outside birds is always full.

...He cries when his feelings are hurt...

And he loves his German Shepherd like a sibling and never walks past her without saying, how much he loves her... 

And, his sister is his absolute best friend in the whole world.

... Oh, and he's a mama's boy.

Five years later, and my life is nowhere near where I'd thought it would have been. I would have thought a boy would change everything. You hear about the blog's that say such scary things of what a boy brings to your life. But here, none of that is true. There's no rough and tough, no biting and hitting, and no aggression. Instead, just lots of snuggles and love. 

And now, I'm left with a 5&7 year old, who are as similar and close as stereotypical twins who shared a uterus.

So, on my son's 5th birthday, I hope for him to continue being himself and to always follow his interests -even if they're away from the norm. And to never change his long hair, because others are uncomfortable with it. But most importantly, to not let his school years jade him or change his love for any of his favorite things...

Because, all these things don't define who he is. They are only a part of him. Ironically, he is "all boy," just in his own way. His actions do not change his gender -not one bit. And I never want him to think he's not what he is supposed to be, because others are different. Or, think he has to change himself to fit in with his peers.

Because, being different is a marvelous thing... More of us should follow suit. 

And, he is exactly who he is meant to be...

**Here is a link to a past blog post about my son: My little boy, the 3 year old...

No comments:

Post a Comment