Monday, October 24, 2016

Fall fun excursions...

On Sunday, in between the rain storms and cold weather, we went to our local farm for some fall fest activities. All the local farms in my area have some sort of fall activity on their grounds during this time of the year. Whether, it's just apple picking, hay rides, corn mazes, sand pits, or a full fledged campfire among the corn fields, there's something going on. Either way, in the month of October, everyone's weekends consists of one of these places. 

The sun peeked out a few times while we were there, causing us to easily get heated in our winter coats, hats, and gloves. But as soon as the sun hid behind the clouds, the cool air rapidly kissed off our faces.

My children immediately raced through a little string maze that sat right on the edge of the parking lot. They bobbed and weaved through all the small pathways, trying to find their way to the end. My son struggled through a few spots, and stood still, waiting for his sister to come rescue him. Which of course, she did.

They then jumped in piles of hay and ran through the hay stack maze with the rest of the children at the place (I don't have a picture of this because, it was too chaotic). Which, this part didn't sit well with a helicopter mom like myself. I envied all the parents who were able to just sit back on the benches and watch from afar, while their children played. I, instead, hovered around and constantly called out to them when I couldn't see them for more than 2 seconds. It eventually turned into a game of Marco Polo. And if I could have fit in there, you bet your ass, I would have walked beside them. Of course, that would have elicited the response, "we're ok mom. I got it," from my daughter.

After they finished giving me a stroke, we loaded up on the tractor driven flat bed, found our hay bail to sit on, then drove off to the pumpkin patches.

We sang songs, created spooky stories, and played eye spied. Thankfully, there was only another family on the ride, but I still think they thought we were weird. Especially when my mom and I started singing, Let it Go. 

Loudly.

When the ride stopped, we walked down the white wooden attached latter, into the pumpkin patch. Only for my children to pick the largest pumpkins in the field, in 10 seconds. 


26 & 30 pound pumpkins, to be exact.

After we wheeled them away in a wagon, my daughter and son led us to the corn maze. This was the part of the day, where we followed the directions of a 6 year old and almost 4 year old. What could possibly go wrong?

And surprisingly, they agreed on all the directions they would go. 

I really thought it would end with one of them running off in an opposite direction, topping my blood pressure off for the day. 

After a gazillion wrong turns and a few dozen dead ends and three corn mazes later, we finished. Well technically, we walked out of the side of the last one, but nonetheless, we finished them. 

And, they loved every second of them...


Finally, we loaded up in the car and headed to eat some pancakes for dinner at a little local restaurant, towards the edge of town.

Our day was complete. The mission was finished. We had many laughs, absorbed beautiful scenery, found enormous pumpkins, and undertook some pretend adventures.

Childhood... Simple.

Always our style.

No comments:

Post a Comment