Monday, May 23, 2016

A heavy day...


Today was one of those days where I was grateful for half day kindergarten. On a normal day, I love the extra time that I get to spend with my daughter and the idea of a 5 & 6 year old not spending repetitious hours learning in a structured classroom.

But today, as I packed the car, readying the drive to PM kindergarten, I received a robo call that the district was evacuating all students due to an on campus threat. A call that every parent with a child in a school system dreads. Thankfully, my daughter was still in my possession, otherwise, I think I would have driven up to the school like a NASCAR racer, with no concern for my own well-being.

Delightedly, after hours of investigations and sweeps from various local and state departments, no bomb was found and thankfully, every child arrived home safely. 

Sadly, this is the realization of the world we live in. But we're extremely grateful, in this incident, everything was kosher and no one was harmed. 

After my blood pressure lowered, my children and I took advantage of our afternoon free of school and went to my parent's lake house summer rental to play in the water on this 80 degree day. 

We put a positive spin on a heavy day. And tonight, I'll hold my children a little closer with the realization that things could have ended very differently today. And, that not all parent's who receive that kind of phone call, are as lucky as I am tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment