Monday, May 30, 2016

Long weekends were meant for this...

After my son and I picked my daughter up from her half day of school, we loaded the car and headed to my parent's rental on the lake. It was a Thursday, the Thursday before the summer kick off weekend. The temperatures were just perfect for swimming and the sun was brightly shining down on us. The water was still a little cold, cold for adults, but never too cold for children. 

My parent's are renting a cabin on the lake for a few weeks over this summer. The cabin sits nestled among the established trees that surround the slanted roof. It has big thick logs with chinking in between the small cracks and a large front porch, with a hand built wooden table and lots of chairs to enjoy the view. Inside, the place is modest, but it has windows on every wall, which allows an abundance of natural light to shine and circulates a cool breeze through the long sheer curtains.  



Our feet weren't even onto the front porch before my children begged to go swimming. I swear my children are part fish. They would swim in a puddle if they could fit their bodies into it. So, I quickly changed them into their swim gear and we headed towards the sandy beach area.



It wasn't long after, that our family friends arrived to join us. And, my husband surprised us by arriving earlier than expected. Our guests brought quite a feast to indulge in while we sat at the wooden table on the front porch, overlooking the lake. 

We spend our duration in the water, jumping off the docks, digging in the sand, and swimming next to the fish that swam so close to us that they sometimes grazed our ankles. By the second day, the water was much warmer and many more motor boats filled the lake, causing bigger waves against the docks at a rapid pace -according to my children, the waves were the best part.

I ran through the 3 feet of water, grasping two cords attached to boogey boards, which both children laid their bodies across. We zipped and zoomed over the waves and around the fish, towards the floating dock. We pretended we were stranded on a floating island, awaiting rescue. We fought off pirates and big sea creatures that threatened our shelter. We eventually had to jump into the water again and swim to a raft that floated in our sights... A raft that our family friend spent the next 20 minutes or so, pulling both my children around on.



We ended the last night on the covered front porch, shielding us from the sun. We enjoyed a table full of food and great people, with great conversation. Two of our family friends (a father and daughter) are both greatly privileged musicians from our local area and they played an acoustic guitar and sang songs for us... 


There's a nostalgic energy that permeates the air when you're sitting on a porch attached to a log cabin that is sitting on a lake. It brings you back to the olden days where families ate dinners outside because it was too hot inside. Where you made room around a small table to fit as many people as you possibly could -which we totally did by the way. And there was always more food than you could eat.


We weren't short on laughs or making memories.

Just a little water, free time, great company, and lots of food made for a great long weekend... 

And if this was a glimpse of what this summer has to offer, I'm readily awaiting...


**Thank you all for your continued support with reading my stories. I appreciate each and every one of your comments, likes, and follows. I post to Instagram almost daily with short stories attached to the photos, and if you would like to follow me, click the button in the right side column of my blog's main page. **

No comments:

Post a Comment