Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Cold April day


I step out my door and feel the warm sunshine on my face and expect the air to be warm. Instead, I lose my breath as the 20 degree temperatures enter my lungs. My children run past me, eager to play in their sand that they scattered all over my pavement. Freezing temperatures never seem to phase children the way adults are affected. They find that their water table is frozen solid and they try everything to crack the ice. My daughter runs over to our forsythia bush to pick some more flowers for her bedroom. Her past ones are still vibrant, but most of the petals have fallen off and the floor is laden with small curled yellow flowers. About a quarter of the bush hasn't bloomed yet and with all the frost we've been having, I doubt it will flower this season. My son shrieks when he sees that our day Lily green sprouts are toppled over, then he grabs some leaves and tries to bury it to help the little plant warm up.

Yes, the sunshine is beautiful and yearned for, but we're craving warm outdoor air. Air that we could breathe all day and cleanse the indoor stale air that lingers deep in our lungs... For now, we'll pick those brightly colored flowers and place them in vases throughout our house, pretending summer is here, and imagine all the fun that is waiting for us in the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment