Friday, April 15, 2016

The behind the scenes of a single picture

Today, I posted a photo to my Facebook account that had my daughter in her back carrier labeled, these children will never be too old to be carried. The picture was a momentary peaceful image with both of us full of smiles and displaying utter happiness and content. Like all snapshots do, that only capture a single second in time. However, the picture is not always reality. 

Yes, the reality was, she was full of smiles, but why was she in the carrier in the first place?

Well, it started because we were going to hike through the woods to the nearby pond to throw rocks in the water -like we have done thousands of times. My son eagerly marched his way to the front to lead the way. But my daughter stopped and sat on the ground, not wanting to walk, but to be carried. I'm always up for negotiations within reason and being the peaceful parent that I am, I didn't threaten or punish her for behaving poorly. Hell, I've been known to behave poorly on occasions. I simply pulled out the carrier and we continued with the journey. 

Until the walk back...

Her boots were full of mud and her pants were soppy from playing by the water. Also, her brother wanted to take a spin in the carrier for the walk back. They both started crying and pleading their cases until I decided that no one was going to be carried. Her brother was content to walk as long as someone held his hand and as long as his sister wasn't getting any special treatment. But my spirited 5 year old was not content with my answer. She cried and sobbed like a 15 year old who was just told she couldn't date the quarterback. I walked, she kept up, but not happily. I kept reassuring her she was a big girl and able to make the trek back. I even made several attempts to play games like, 'last one there is a rotten egg' or 'can't catch me'. Although, she wasn't having any of it. Basically, she behaved the way any normal, tired, 5 year old would. 

We arrived back home, my daughter still at my side, now whining, as she continued to say she wanted to be carried. I hugged my little girl and told her how happy I was that she walked by herself. I understood that she was tired and still young enough to not accurately control her emotions like people believe children should. And I also understand that children think differently than adults, they're very linear. She wanted to be held and her brain clouded any rational thinking beyond that. 

My daughter quickly perked up and moved past her meltdown, again, like all children her age do. I didn't find any logic in harping on the incident. I addressed the issue with empathy and showed her lots of love and support, like I always do. At 5 years old, she didn't need a lecture, she needed a hug. And she did, lots of them... 

...And an early bedtime, which was welcomed. 

With social media being one of the biggest revolutions in technology, it's no wonder people base their parenting expectations off of a single picture. People are bombarded daily with lovely, perfect images set out for the world to see. And some of us, ponder how they're done. But what we don't see, is what happened before and after that picture perfect image, because, everything has a story to be told. But just know that reality is also very beautiful, even with the imperfections.



**Remember, you can all follow along with my stories by joining my blog's site or following any of my social media pages. I post pictures and tell stories almost daily on Instagram. Also, you can always vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs by clicking the icon in the right side column. Thank you all for your continued support and I look forward to conversing with you all**

No comments:

Post a Comment